20

The demon sat upon a large throne made of stone. A hound at either side of him, and he stroked one's ear. A wide, gruesome grin was plastered onto his face, as he gazed down at what he had been waiting for for so long.

"Miss Joanna, so nice to finally meet you." A low vibration sounded at the back of his throat in the words he spoke. Slowly he took to his feet and glared down hard. "It took me a great deal to find you--you hid well for a girl using her powers for the first time."

The brunette became confused, and glared back with such intensity, she also was looking at him to clarify what he meant. "Oh, you didn't realize? You've inherited such great power, I would assume someone had taught you how to use them. But oh, wait, you didn't have anybody, did you? We both know daddy wasn't there." His game of manipulation had always been a favorite of Valliant's, as it was his specialty.

"You stay out of her head, Valliant!" Countered Leonard, and immediately the demon's attention snapped to the man. Hellhounds continued to circle the group like wolves among sheep, slowly coming in closer.

"Oh?" Said Valliant. "Well, it's true! I mean, what would I know of not having a father around to protect me from people who experimented on me. Isn't that right?" His attention turned back to the girl and her eyes were glazed over with tears. The smile on his smug face only grew.

Leonard looked down at Joanna–she looked down at the floor. All that filled him was guilt. It felt like his heart was being ripped out of him again, and it was a feeling he wished he could forget. "What if we made a deal?" The tension seemed to grow as everyone stared at the doctor, wondering if they heard him correctly. He stayed in control of his thoughts and emotions as his eyes met Valliant's. It was a silent exchange of words between them when the demon spoke again.

"What did you have in mind?" He raised a hand and stroked his goatee, seemingly enthralled at the thought of a deal. He flicked another hand, and the hellhounds circling them backed off, retreating to either side of his throne. Leonard had no doubt that he would attempt to trick him into agreeing to different terms, but he wouldn't let that happen (hopefully). Their gaze never wavered–Leonard had the urge to look at Jim, or Joanna, but he couldn't. Not when they were going to be this close.

Leonard stood tall and rigged, his hands calmly at his side. His fingers twitched, feeling the building power in him. "I'll give you my powers, but one condition..." Valiant cocked his head, a finger to his ear as if to say "I'm listening." That's when Leonard took the chance to look at his friends–his family. Jim's eyes were scared and desperate; Joanna looked up at him with tears streaming down her face; Benny's expression was knowing, but she couldn't keep the fear from overtaking. Everyone Leonard knew looked scared. No one wanted him to give in this easily, but they didn't know what he was actually planning to do. He gave them all a sad smile and he, too, began to cry. He mouthed, "It'll be alright."

"If I give you my powers, you let everyone else go!" He finally announced. "I don't care what you do with me, just promise me their safety." Slowly he stepped forward and away from the group. Jim made a move to jump forward, but a warning growl stopped him from moving further.

"Bones, don't do this-"

"What do you say, Le Valliant?" Leonard spoke up over him, not wanting to have to listen to his pained voice. Le Valliant stood from where he sat upon the pile of rubble. Down the hill he came, meeting Leonard halfway.

His eyes narrowed and he looked the man up and down. Moments of silence passed when he suddenly barked out a laugh. "You're awfully confident, for a man who knows me more than he'd like to come to terms with. You do know I can't keep promises."

"Yeah. I know. But you do know me enough to know I don't give up that easily." Valliant's face twisted into a look of anger. Just then did Leonard swing a left hook at him, impacting his jaw and sending him to the ground. The hounds barked loudly and immediately took off towards the group again.