"It's okay, Toren," his case worker encouraged, pocketing the envelope. "They're going to take good care of you."

Toren shook his head and clutched tightly to the man's pant leg.

"He's so small," Rachel cooed. "Sweetie, it's okay, we'd love to be your family if you'd let us? We'll take good care of you, I promise."

Promise... He shook his head at that. The last promise made to him was broken. Promises were bad. People who made them, disappeared. He wouldn't let that happen again. He didn't want to be left behind.

His legs shook as images flashed through his mind. Pappa... had promised him he'd always be there...

"You'll have to give him some time. He's distrusting of strangers," his case worker sighed. "After what happened to the poor boy, you can't blame him."

Stephan and Rachel both winced, exchanging looks of pity and regret. They seemed almost guilty with how they looked at Toren.

"Come on, Toren, I'll go in with you, okay?" His case worker tried.

He chewed on his lip and looked up into the man's eyes. He could see, even as young as he was, that one way or another, he was going to be left there with the Grettlys. So he nodded, still clinging tightly to his case worker as they all began to head inside.

"We made a room up for you, would you like to see it?" Rachel smiled.

He glanced back up at his case worker before nodding.

They were led to a big room with a nice twin sized bed. The covers were forest themed. There was a desk under the window that looked out at the front yard. A bookshelf was in the corner, half filled with books.
His eyes lit up upon seeing the books and he ventured from his case worker to walk up to the shelf and study the titles. He giggled at some of them. They were beginner chapter books. Even though he was only seven years old, Toren was able to read books of the highest level. He liked a lot of the science books in his last foster home. The dad was into astronomy, so he'd read all of the books with him.

"We heard you like to read," Rachel beamed proudly.

Toren turned to her and nodded, blinking his wide golden eyes in a slow manner. Then he covered his mouth with his hands and he tried to stifle a giggle.

Rachel and Stephan seemed confused as to what he found so funny.

His case worker chuckled as realization crossed his features. "Toren's reading level is much higher than most kids his age. He can read as well as you and I."

The Grettlys both looked shocked.

"Wow, we have a smart one here, don't we?" Rachel teased, chuckling as Toren tried to stifle another giddy giggle.

"Indeed." Stephan's expression cracked as the corner of his mouth twitched up.

"Well, we can replace these with whatever books you want, okay? We can take you book shopping sometime, how's that sound?"

Toren couldn't stop nodding eagerly, smiling brightly up at Rachel. Perhaps he'd like these people after all.

And he did. Slowly they wormed their way into his little heart. From allowing him the simplest freedoms to giving him everything he could ever need, including their love.