Time-skip Another Five Years

Iris' POV

Today is the funeral of Seti the second, Ramses' father. He died of an unknown illness. In following our traditions. Queen Tuya was dressed as the Goddess Isis and I the Goddess Nephthys. Being the only two females in the family. Even though Ramses and I are not married yet. Isis is the goddess of healing, protection, and magic. Her sister Nephthys was the goddess of the air (since the sky is the "head" of the world) and the head of the family. It was also believed that she had great power through her knowledge of sacred words and magical spells.

Some participants carried canopic jars and other grave goods, while others were hired mourners, dancers, musicians and priests. Who Hotep and Huy were in charge of. Would be chanting the sacred spells and rites. Last night Seti was embalmed and placed in his golden sarcophagus. That had been prepared back when he first fell ill several months ago.

"Are you ok Queen Tuya?" I ask as we got ready together.

"Please, call me Tuya. You'll no doubt be queen soon" she states.

"What do you mean?" I ask her as I brush her hair.

"You and Ramses have been courting for ten years. No doubt he'll ask for your hand in marriage soon. Then I can move on in peace after you are crowned" she tells me.

"But how can I possibly help Ramses run this empire without you?" I ask her.

"I've taught you everything I know, you'll be fine" she assures me.

"I doubt you've taught me everything" I tell her with a small smile. "I wish Moses was here" I say sadly.

"As do I, but he is most likely dead. It's been thirteen years and no sign of him. I'm sure he is watching us from above though and will greet Seti in the afterlife" she states. I smile sadly as I finish brushing her hair.

"I think we're both ready" I tell her. She nods her head and we put the head pieces on. Just then there is a knock at the door. "Who is it?" I ask.

"Ramses!" he answers.

"Enter" Tuya says and he does so.

"You both look more beautiful then the goddesses themselves" he tells us.

"I doubt that" I tell him as I blush lightly.

"Is everything ready?" Tuya asks him.

"Yes mother, we only await you both" he tells her.

"Then lets go" she tells us. We leave the room and go to the entrance hall. Where the others are waiting. My father being one of the men carrying Seti's sarcophagus. Ramses stands opposite him and all six men lift the sarcophagus. Tuya and I lead the way as the priests begin to chant. We walk to the river and board boats. We cross the river to the western side, the favored location for royal burials.

When we reach the other side. We walk to the tomb. Where the sarcophagus was raised upright for the 'Opening of the Mouth' ceremony. This was an elaborate ritual performed by priests so the dead person could use all their senses in the afterlife. The practices involved in this ceremony included purification, anointing and the reciting of prayers and spells, as well as touching the mummy with ritual objects to restore the senses.

After this, food and clothing were offered to the dead person. We then participated in the funerary banquet. The sarcophagus was then placed in the burial chamber of the tomb, Seti fully prepared for the afterlife.

We then made the journey back to the palace. First by boat across the river. Then a walked back. Ramses, his mother and I then go to the river court yard. Where we exchanged stories about Seti. While I patted Tatum. Who is not five, nearly six.

"What was your mother's funeral like?" Ramses asks me curious.

"I don't know, I didn't go. Neither did dad" I tell him sadly. "I know traditional Hebrew funerals take place within a day of the time of death. The person is buried in a simple casket that has not been ordained. My mother was buried by a field of iris flowers, I visit once a year with my father" I explain. "In fact we're going in several days" I add.

"May I accompany you?" Ramses asks me.

"Of course, but what about the kingdom?" I ask him.

"It will survive a few hours while you visit your mother's grave" Tuya assures me. "I must go, you both have fun" she tells us before leaving.

"Ramses, can we talk about our engagement?" I ask him.

"What about it?" he asks me curious as he plays with my hair.

"I know you wish to tell everyone and get married as soon as possible. But I'm worried about your mother" I tell him concerned.

"Why? Did she say something?" he asks me.

"She told me she'd live to see us marry and me become queen. Then die, I don't want you to lose her after just losing your father" I tell him.

"So what do you want to do about it?" he asks me.

"Lets wait a few years before we announce our engagement" I tell him.

"As you wish my love" he tells me. "Gives us more time to plan our perfect day" he states and kisses me sweetly. "Also I can focus on building a couple more temples. Maybe one for Horus next or Hathor" he muses.

"I like Hathor" I tell him with smile.

"Then I'll have a temple built for her next" he tells me. "So how do you and your father usually get to your mother's grave?" he asks me curious.

"We walk" I tell him. "We have a picnic by her grave site and tell her about the past year. Have there been anymore updates on Moses?" I ask him.

"None, the priests advice that I give up the search. As it's been thirteen years and it's unlikely that he's still alive" Ramses tells me sadly.

"What does your heart tell you?" I ask him.

"That he's alive and out there somewhere. Probably started a new life for himself" he tells me. "But I'm sure he'll return one day" he states. I nod my head in agreement. We enjoy our afternoon before going to the dining hall for dinner with his mother.

A/N

Picture above of  Isis and Nephthys. Picture on the external link of the iris flower.