Chapter 33

One of Ivypool's least favorite memories is when she had to give up her prey to Mapleshade. Tigerstar made it clear she was only here to serve. Luckily, that day Streamkit snuck Rustykit some prey, Ivypool had already eaten when she was outside of the territory.

Another one of her most important memories was when she had to explain StarClan to the kits, shortly after Petalfur's death. Ivypool thought it would be better to wait until they were older to explain to them anything else about the clan cats and the dark forest's true origins.

Ivypool slowly smoothed the kits fur, any moment now they would be apprenticed. Tigerstar then called a clan meeting. Ivypool herded the kits towards the post that Tigerstar sat on. The four kits looked up towards the strong leader.

"Are you ready to become dark forest apprentices?" Tigerstar asked them.

All four nodded quickly, they haven't stopped talking about it for the past moon.

"Eaglekit, your mentor will be me. Dapplekit, your mentor will be Hawkfrost." Tigerstar started. You could tell that the two kits were excited that their mentors were two of the most powerful cats in the clan.

"Thistleclaw and Mapleshade will be in charge while we are training. Streamkit, your mentor Will be Sparrowfeather for she has served her moons as a guard long enough and deserves to be rewarded."

Ivypool was glad Sparrowfeather was Streamkit's mentor as she was a moon younger than the others and Sparrowfeather was one of the better dark forest warriors. She would go more easy on her.

The dark forest camp cheered. Tigerstar leaped down from his post.

"Wait! What about Rustykit?!?" Ivypool demanded.

"You really think we'd let him become a dark forest apprentice! He's practically a living Firestar!" Tigerstar said.

Ivypool hissed.

"Fine. You can be his mentor. And he'll be known as Rustypaw." Tigerstar said.

"What?!? But he can't...." She started.

"I know. He's not allowed out of camp. You'll have to train him in a small enclosed space." Tigerstar grinned, "Rustypaw will never be a warrior!"

Rustypaw looked fearfully at Tigerstar.