Chapter 14

If you can find the reference to one of my other books I put here, I love you /p <3

It was a normal, boring day. Kira was about to drift off, before something the teacher said caught their attention.
"Read pages seventy-nine through eighty of your text books," the teacher said.

Kira did so, glad to finally have something to do. She was beginning to grow restless in her seat, her leg bouncing.
She read through it rather quickly, and went over it a few times in their head.

The teacher cleared their throat after a minute, and looked around the room.
"389," the teacher called to a boy with charcoal eyes and dark brown hair. Kira recalled that his name was Cole.

It wasn't that they were stalking or eavesdropping on anyone's conversation, not on purpose, anyways.
It was just she always, somehow either zoned out or accidentally tuned in on something that was none or her business.

It made them feel a bit guilty, as she knew full well how wrong it was. Her mother always lectured them on the importance of respecting other people's boundaries and privacy.
Maybe that was because their father never did that with them. Kira wondered why her mother didn't tell him to stop.

"Yes ma'am?" Cole asked, blinking up at them.
"Care to explain why the team failed their mission in the end?" The teacher raises and eyebrow, watching as Cole thought for only a moment and then responded.

"It was because they were running off only one of the team mates," Cole said, "They left all the responsibilities to their leader. The leader couldn't do all the work themselves and they failed their mission."

The teacher smiled, nodding. "Very good. Good work. This event is a prime example of why a team can't run properly off the back of only one. If any of your teams do this, you'll be bound to fail. Laziness never pays off in the end, it will always lead to failure."

Aayan wrote this down quickly, nodding to himself. The rest of the class passed, and Kamlyn also tried to keep up.
Kamlyn was diligent, like Aayan, but he could never quite keep up just yet.

Later, during another of their classes, they were learning about something that particularly sparked Colleen's interest.
It was interesting to all of them, as it was quite intriguing. It was a secret language.

The language was incoded. Every letter had a randomized two digit number assigned to it, and it was only known to the government and the organization.
Kaze seemed to pick it up quite quickly, as he was good at memorizing certain things.

A-19
B- 16
C-10
D- 13
E-21
F- 26
G- 90
H- 72
I- 85
J- 44
K- 30
L- 67
M- 80
N- 25
O- 15
P- 36
Q- 12
R- 47
S- 54
T- 62
U- 20
V- 43
W- 57
S- 39
Y- 18
Z- 99

After explaining how the system would work, the teacher spoke once more.
"Now, I'm going to pass out a piece of paper to all of you. Each has a different word you'll need to spell out whatever word you get.

Kamlyn looked at the piece of paper sitting on the table before him, blinking before he looked over to Kahsbi, who was beside him.
"Hey, um," he said softly, timidly, as if embarrassed, "C-can I see your notes?"

Kahsbi giggled. "Did you not copy the code down? Staring off into space?"
Kamlyn blushed. "Maybe a little bit," he said under his breath, "Can I see, though?"
"Any time." Kahsbi slid her notebook over to him.

Kamlyn and Kahsbi copied their own words down, reading off the notebook placed between them.
"What'd you get?" Kahsbi asked, looking to the opposite side of her notebook from where the code was.