Chapter eight

Frecklepaw had run past her, feeling the ground shake. Spottedpaw looked up, her eyes wide with fear then it turned to a laughter purr. "Oh don't start it again!" The She-cat snorted, the wind had blown on her fur making it prick up, then smooth with a couple of licks.
Frecklepaw purred, padding over to spottedpaw giving her a muzzle on the cheek, her fur grew hot with embarrassment looking at Tom, "I'll do it every morning!" He teased, spottedpaw rolled her eyes, moving her tail she made frecklepaw trip and fall onto his chin.
"And you'll get that every sunrise," challenging the tom, he got up slowly. Frowning, he crouched and then pounced onto spottedpaw making them both roll down to the fresh-kill pile, spottedpaw looked up seeing her father. "Morning," mewing, frecklepaw got up his tail between his legs.
"Morning, fuzzypelt!" Spottedpaw got up gazing at the young Tom, his gaze was locked onto her father, his fur pricked and his amber eyes widened like moons. Was he nervous? She thought, her tail flicking.
Fuzzypelt dipped his head to frecklepaw "what are you two doing up early?" He asked, his ear narrowed to spottedpaw.
Spottedpaw purred, bouncing to stand beside her father. "Waiting to go to training of course!"
He muzzled her, then gave her a quick lick. "Well, behave now." Picking up his mouse then padding off to the elder's den, spottedpaw's head titled. I wonder how the elder is going, she thought giving frecklepaw a muzzle on the earthen bouncing off to the elder's den.
As she peeked her head in, the blackberry bush had pulled her fur. With a Yelp she fell, her father turned around glancing at her "spottedpaw? What are you doing," he asked padding over giving her a paw.
Shaking her fur out, sticks fell out of her fur. Gazing down at them, her head titled in confusion. "What you doing in the elder's den?" The mouse had disappeared from her father's jaw, and he turned to look at Crowcry.
"I went in to give him his meal," he purred, spottedpaw stretched over to gaze over to the elder Tom. Crowcry lifted his head looking to spottedpaw, flinching the Tom mewed something.
"Come over here young warrior," he mumbled, his purr was a smile. Spottedpaw padded over, her chest out as if acting like the other apprentices, "sit down now youngster." Hesitating for a heartbeat, then sitting the Tom gazed up to her, his blue eyes bright as if he was still young.
Fuzzypelt purred gazing at her, then padding off. Don't leave me- but before she could race out for her father, the elder started telling stories about the olden days of thunderclan, and how an orange flamed cat had saved the cats and made thunderclan live longer than ever, laying down her paws crossed, spottedpaw was interested.
"Firestar was an interesting cat, he was the only cat to stop Tigerstar..." Crowcry looked down at his paws, claws unsheathed. "But poor Firestar had passed in the great battle of the dark forest, some evil cats." The She-cat had wondered what the dark forest was, evil cats? Surely not every cat is evil in the dark forest, some must of regretted it. And wanted to change, her ear twitched with Annoyance.
"Surely not all dark forest cats aren't evil?" She asked, her head leaning forward. Crowcry blinked at the young apprentice, his ears lowered.
Then shrugging, "I don't know.." mumbling yarrowfern padded in, her ear flicked looking at the elder than her, the yellow queen purred with a dip of a head to the elder.
"Morning, Crowcry!" She purred, then turned to spottedpaw. "I'm showing you the territory today, come with me. Pausing through the blackberry bush, she'd waited for spottedpaw turning down to the elder, she dipped her head then racing out.

"Sorry, I was just checking on the elders." Her fur pricked uneased, the queen turned to her purring.
"It's fine, spottedpaw. Let's go!" Trotting off, and pushing through the entrance of the camp. Spottedpaw hesitated to look at the thorn bush that covered the entrance, pushing through it, it had poked her and tugged at her fur.
Yarrowfern purred with a snort, "it looks pretty difficult to get through, but it keeps outfoxes and predators." Spottedpaw followed her down the narrowed path and looked around sniffing the air. She could smell all kinds of prey, and her ear twitching listening to them run around. Their paws scattering around on the smooth grassy earth, yarrowfern turned to spottedpaw with a purr, knowing what she was listening to "there's much prey around here!"
Spottedpaw looked at the yellow She-cat, her eyes wide, nose wrinkled smelling all the prey around and the fresh new smells. "If you like, you could try catching your prey?"
The small apprentice tail curled between her legs, fear overcoming her. But I can't... I'm so useless- she thought, ear back. But her mentor noticed out anxious she was, taking a step forward and lapping her ear with comfort. But spottedpaw was still stressed, fur pricked with unease.
Yarrowfern dipped her head, still realising spottedpaw was still stressed about her first hunt. "If you don't get the kill, we won't tell anyone." Looking up, spottedpaw then understood, hunting wouldn't be that bad, right?
The small apprentice was still uneased by making the kill of a creature, but yarrowfern was there to direct and help her through her training, the apprentice took a slow step opening her mouth to taste the air. The taste of squirrel made her eyes widen with a bright spark of relief. Yarrowfern dipped her head, muzzling her cheek proudly. Spottedpaw then turned back to the ground, her paws steady, her tail curled around herself making sure it would sway around with excitement that she had found her first prey.
For a moment, a little paw scattering was sounded by the bushes. An orange-red squirrel pushed past the bush, shaking all of the leaves and sticks off it, and cleaning itself. Yarrowfern then turned to spottedpaw whispering "crawl closely to it, you need to have your paws like feathers when taking paw steps."
Spottedpaw didn't answer but took in the information, as she took her steps her paws landed carefully onto the earth that surrounded the forest, taking more steps closer to the squirrel until she was at a good distance ready to take the blow, lowering herself to her haunches, her tail tucked next to her. Leaping, she landed onto the squirrel, spottedpaw's paw on the squirrel as it squirmed "take the blow!" Yarrowfern blurted out, gazing down at it spottedpaw felt a sting of pain, this is a creature she shouldn't kill. But the apprentice took the blow, her jaw around the squirrel's neck biting into it, hearing a snap.
Yarrowfern trotted over with pride and purring. "You did such a great good, spottedpaw!" Looking up, the squirrel dangled in her jaw.
"Thank you," muttering with the prey between her teeth, her mentor muzzled her forehead then backed away.
"Come on, let's get this back!"

As she pushed through the thorn bush, frecklepaw was the first one to see the prey in her jaws. His eyes Brightened racing over to her, "you caught that!" Gasping, spottedpaw felt flustered her fur grew hot with embarrassment.
"Yes, I got it I'm the first blow." Muttering, her mentor's tail landed onto her back, her head tilted to the fresh-kill pile. With exactly knowing what she was saying, spottedpaw padded over with frecklepaw at her side. His meowing was sounded from the clearing, he couldn't stop bragging about her prey, dropping it in the pile an elder peaked out.
"Oh, what a lovely catch! Great job spottedpaw," robincall meowed across the clearing.
But as she gazed around, there was no sign of her father. But her clanmates had come over to her, making compliments about her kill. The apprentice stalked off to her bed, the other apprentice's in the back talking about their training, but frecklepaw had padded into gazing down at her, his gaze was like a river full of concern. Taking a seat beside her, then laid down his paws underneath his chest fur.
"What's wrong, aren't you happy about your first prey?" Asking his ear had titled as if curious but confused, spottedpaw sighed putting her head on her friend's shoulder, whiskers titled slightly and fur growing hot.
"It's not that... it's just- Fuzzypelt wasn't there to see." She muttered, frecklepaw looked down at her frowning.
"But he's out on patrol?"
"And? He could have been there.." she tucked her paws underneath her, "maybe he doesn't care, like Larksong.." frecklepaw flicked his take with frustration, "he isn't like her, spottedpaw. He cares more about you than larksong," he paused giving her a comforting lick, "who would want to be there to see your first prey or anything..."