Jason looks up from the menu, and my cheeks flush.

Good Lord, he's hot.

Don't let them see you feel anything!

I try to smooth the expression on my face. I must look professional—friendly, but detached. Not like my heart's in my throat and my pulse is racing a million miles a minute. Shannon's a shark, and she only needs to smell one drop of blood to strike.

"And for you?" I ask Jason.

"I guess fish and chips. With an iced tea." He never makes eye contact.

Whew. I quickly write his order down.

"Will that be everything?"

"You guys," Shannon says, "we should order some kind of awesome dessert. To celebrate, don't you think?" She turns to me. "This is our last night at home before we leave for college tomorrow. So sad. But bittersweet, ya know? I'm sure you understand, Erica. Where'd you get in?"

"Um... excuse me?" I'm holding my pen so tightly, I'm afraid it'll snap.

"College... what college are you going to? We're all headed for OSU."

"Congratulations." I keep my voice light. "We have some great desserts. Banana cream pie, apple pie, vanilla or chocolate ice cream... Those are the most popular. Would you guys like one of those?"

"Apple pie is my fave... You guys want a slice too?"

The three of them nod, not looking particularly excited about the prospect but going along.

"Will there be anything else?" I ask, desperate to escape.

"Don't think so." Shannon shrugs. "But will we be seeing you again? Maybe at OSU? You didn't answer my question."

I lock eyes with her, my stomach hollow. There's a challenge in her gaze, and I can see she's not gonna drop this. Forcing this fake friendliness is making me want to puke.

"So... will we see you at OSU?" She asks again, drawing each word out slowly.

I quickly shake my head. "Let me grab those drinks."

I turn, and she grabs my arm, stopping me. I casually step away from her, forcing her to let me go.

"Wait!" Shannon says loudly. "Ohhhh no. I'm so sorry. Now... now I finally remember. Your mom..." Her voice drops in volume. "She died, didn't she?" She's saying it like she's scandalized by the memory. "Oh, God. You dropped out of high school junior year, didn't you?"

Her brown eyes have gone big and round, like she gives a damn about me.

My heart's racing, and I swear I can hear every beat pounding in my ears. My smile has faded, and I can't bring it back. She's mocking me because my mom freakin' died! I've never punched anyone before, but I'm thinking she deserves to be my first.

But I can't even be rude. She'd be the one to call my boss and complain tomorrow. I'll lose everything, while she prances off to OSU free and happy. She'd love to destroy my life, just for fun. That's who she is.

"You dropped out junior year?" she repeats, her eyes big and round with mock pity.

"Yes. I did." I barely hear my own words.

"Oh, what a shame." She gives me a smirk. "Isn't that such a shame, you guys?" She glances around at her friends for effect.

I keep my eyes glued to her, not wanting to see the pity, or worse, complete boredom and disinterest, on Jason's face.