19

TW: hospitalization, injuries, violence mention, etc...

Jazmine

I'm shaking and in tears as I'm with my aunt Ariana on the way to the hospital. Moms are trying to see what to do with the younger kids so they let me go after much reluctance. It's difficult with the two younger ones at practice and an after school club.

I have Ariana with me so it's fine. I just need to see Robyn.

I don't even notice my violent trembling until Ariana puts a hand on my shoulder as she turns into the hospital parking lot.

"Niecy, it's okay. Your mom is gonna be okay."

We get out the car and immediately to the ICU. Seeing Robyn nearly sends me to the floor. I run to her bedside and cling to her. The inner child in me who just wanted her mother all those years ago coming out instantly.

After spending such time with Robyn I'm beginning to see her as a mother again. I was actually planning on bringing it up at some point because she really has changed for the better.

I cling to her with such fear and worry. She looks so frail in the bed. It makes my chest clench in a horrible way.

"She has a gunshot wound to her rib and a couple of fractures. She won't say how they got there but we assume a fight of some kind." The Doctor and my aunt talk.

"Will she be okay?"

"Course I will." Robyn interjects.

She's awake but very hazy. I'm sure it's got to be because of a painkiller or something they have her on.

I squeeze her harder yet carefully.

"What's you do?"

"Handled some things. I'm not gonna let some bitch ass baffoon hurt mah kid."

My stomach sinks.

"I didn't kill him, though." She says thinking it's gonna comfort me.

Although it is comforting she won't have to fight an attempted murder charge anytime soon.

She winces in pain as I slightly shift my weight.

"Sorry."

"You're good. Lay in the actual bed wimme."

I nod and do so. She's the one needing comfort and it's playing out the opposite way.

"Are you able to drink water or anything?"

She has been here for 3 days already and didn't let the nurses contact anyone from home until now. I kinda hate her for that.

She scratches the back of my head.

"Babygirl, I'm okay."

I wanna respond to that so bad but I feel it's not the time.

"Promise you won't do something like that again, mom that scared the shit outta me."

"I won't."

I lay my head on her chest and cry a bit. My phone blows up with my moms texting me for updates on her.

I give a hug that's quick and sweet and sink back into Robyn.

I want her to be okay after whatever she did.

______________

When I was little we used to be inseparable.

I mean she took me to work with her almost daily and had me running around a big ass skyscraper and putting makeup on her employees, my condolences to them.

She taught me how to braid while she braided my own hair. I would have my doll in a weird hold on my lap and did my very best and she gave me tons of pointers over my shoulder.

Robyn tries to move my braid out of my face but it wakes me up which isn't a big deal. I'm her daughter so me spending the night is okay and my moms allowed it.

They also told me that I didn't have to attend school for the week and we'd talk together about what happened with me and King's brother soon.

That scares me but at least it's getting taken care of.

"Whatchu thinking about, pooh?"

"Nothing." I fidget with my nails.

"You sure?"

I nod.

"Can you pass me that apple juice please?"

I reach over for the generic hospital brand juice box and she takes a small weak sip.

"You feelin' better?"

"A little." She answers truthfully.

The more I see her the more she doesn't look that bad but I can tell she's saving face.

Under the hospital gown she's got her chest wrapped up in bandages and gauze and shit. Her arm is in a light pink cast as well to heal the fracture up.

She sips the juice once more then hands it to me.

I sip it too. I won't lie it's really good.

She smiles when she sees my reaction.

"I remember when you were three and that was your first time ever being sick." She chuckles. "Apple juice and the fruit punch from minute made in the solid jug was the only thing that kept you happy."

"Duh, cuz it's the only good juice." I chuckle.

I remember that too. She was so scared and cradled me and couldn't stop crying and it was two cry i people under one roof and Mom had to come and save the day. It makes me chuckle a hit thinking about it.

"Im glad you're here."

"You're my mom, how wouldn't I?"

She shrugs and looks away a bit.

"You changed though. You went to therapy and stopped alla dat."

She nods and fans away some tears with her hand.

I hug her hard and she feeds me juice at the same time.

"I'm supposed to be the one watching you!"

_____________
🥺