A Friendship That Lasts Forever

Bonnie sat alone on the train that will take her to San Francisco for nurses' training. She was still looking at the scenery outside the window when another blonde haired woman appeared in front of her.

"Excuse me, toots, is this seat taken?," the woman asked in her heavy New York accent.

"Oh, no, please sit down," Bonnie smiled.

"Thanks," the woman smiled.

"So, you enlist for the navy nurse too?" That woman broke the silence.

"Yeah, how about you?" Bonnie replied.

"Same. Oh wow, i couldn't imagine that i'll meet another nurse too. My name's Barbara Visser but you can call me Barbara. I'm from Queens, New York," Barbara introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you, Barbara. My name's Bonnie McCawley, call me Bonnie. I'm from Memphis, Tennessee," Bonnie replied.

"So why are you joining the navy nurse, Bons? Has a particular soldier interested you?" asked a curious Barbara, Bonnie just chuckled.

"Well, i join the navy to get out from my mother's clutches and my family's plantation really and to see the world too. Besides, I really want to meet my brother and my love interest who are in the air corps. So that's why I joined the navy. How about you Barbs?" She was curious.

"I joined to help my pops and mom who were still struggling because their bar didn't run well after the depression. Besides, wouldn't that be exciting if we meet a handsome officer of our own?" Barbara asked slyly and then they both bursted into fits of giggles.

"So, can you tell me more about this love interest of yours?," Barbara gets curious.

"Well, he spent much of his time playing with my brother at our family's plantation. I was just their tagalong. He and my brother became inseparable. When i grew up, we both started to have a crush on each other. But none of us wanted to admit it. Besides, my mother didn't approve of him since she thought that his family wasn't rich enough," she sighed and said sadly.

"I'm sorry, toots. Maybe i can help you to get him. Just tell me if you need anything," Barbara assured her, she thanked her.

"And what does he look like?" asked Barbara slyly.

Bonnie squealed a little bit, remembering Danny's chocolate brown hair and gorgeous green eyes.

"You know I can hear that squeal, Bons," teased Barbara.

"Shut up, Barbs," grumbled Bonnie, with a heavy blush on her face.

"I wish I had a camera. You should've seen your face. It's so precious. Or maybe, your soldier should've seen you," teased Barbara again.

Bonnie just muttered and told her to shut up as blush on her face became more evident. Then, there's a moment of silence before the two girls bursted into laughter.

"Well, he has chocolate brown hair and beautiful green eyes. And he's such a darling too, I remember once he offered me a lift when he and my brother played in dad's biplane," Bonnie described Danny with sparkles in her eyes.

"Wow, he's such a gentleman. God, how I wish I were so in love," Barbara sighed dreamily.

They continued to talk about each other's lives. During their longlasting talks, a young girl came to their direction.

"Excuse me, does anybody sit here?" the girl asked.

"Oh, no. Please, feel free to join us," Barbara and Bonnie smiled.

"Thanks," the girl sat and thanked them.

"My name's Betty Bayer, you are?" She introduced her name.

"Bonnie McCawley, nice to meet you," Bonnie shook her hand.

"Barbara Visser, nice to meet you," Barbara did the same.

"Nice to meet all of you, too. So where are you guys from? Did both of you come from the same town?" Betty asked.

"Nah. I'm from Queens, New York. And she's from Memphis, Tennessee," Barbara replied.

"So where are you from, Betty?" Bonnie asked.

"I'm from St. Paul, Minnesota. So, are you both enlisting for the Navy too?," Betty replied.

"Yeah and you applied too?" Bonnie replied.

"Yeah. And why did you join if I may ask?" Betty asked.

They told her their story and then Betty told them hers. And they both kept talking about many things during the long train ride to San Francisco.

"Guys, i have an idea, i think we should make a small group don't you think," Betty's eyes brightened.

"And what is our group's name, Betty darlin'?" Bonnie asked.

"Yeah, tell us, toots," Barbara commanded.

"How about three Bs?" Betty asked, both of the girls nodded.

"I like it. And no matter what happens, three Bs should support each other," Barbara said, brought all of them closer.

And that's how a friendship of a lifetime began. Three girls that will always support each other's backs no matter how hard their paths will be. Three girls that become sisters in all but blood. But unbeknownst to the three of them, one of their lives will end shortly and tragically.