8

The Spiritualist's home was an abandoned truck on a quiet street on the outskirts of the city. It was situated a kilometre away from the street, resting behind a backdrop of trees that led into the woods.

A gas station, an ATM stand, a call booth, and an average standard motel, were the neighboring structures around the area.

Zee sighted a worn-out-looking vehicle parked outside the truck turned home. It told her that the Spiritualist was around. A rustic handmade wooden marquee before the house proclaimed the words- Know Thy Future.

Zee often wondered how the woman could live like that. Well, it was not her business. After all, people like that were often kind of spooky.

It was ironic how they often claim to see the future but still live like paupers. She regretted getting herself involved with this kind of darkness.

Lucky Inara, she thought. She wished she were in Inara's shoes right now. At least, she would not be thinking about The Last Dare anymore. But she also knew that she had brought this on herself.

Zee stepped out of her car, headed to the front door of the mini house, and gave it an impatient knock. There was no response. Standing there, she could feel the light breeze kissing her skin. It gave her an eerie feeling. She needed to get this over with because she was tired of being haunted.

Zee knocked again but almost jumped out of her skin at the feel of a hand on her shoulder. Whipping around in panic, she came face to face with a woman in her sixties who was bearing a tray of freshly plucked herbs in one hand.

She was wearing red gypsy clothing and had a red bandana wrapped around her long white hair. Even her jewelry was red. Zee found herself squinting from the brightness of her clothing as though her sight was being affected by direct sunlight.

"You're a terrible dresser." She said, frowning at the woman. "Your outfit is just so red and blinding."

"And you, young one I remember because you've always got a mouth on you."

She looked and sounded unfazed by Zee's blunt attack on her outfit.

"Well, you almost gave me a heart attack," Zee said, panting. "I didn't hear you coming."

"Sorry." The woman responded but she looked anything but sorry. "What brings you to my humble place? I don't get visitors too often these days."

"Well, isn't that obvious?" Zee said unsympathetically. "Maybe people are tired of listening to your sloppy predictions and evil spiritual bullshit."

If the woman was offended by her words, it did not show, and this irked Zee but she remained silent and watched the woman's eyes peruse her from head to toe. Dear God, Zee prayed silently, thinking next, she is going to say she has seen something about my future. Stupid con artist.

The woman's eyes narrowed disturbingly at her and Zee rolled her eyes disinterestedly. "What is it?"

"Come inside," Violet responded quietly and Zee followed her inside the makeshift house. It was very minimalist. Curtains were used as dividers and she had electricity and a small space she used as her office. It consisted of chairs and a table covered with a red fabric.

The décor was full of pagan items- from bones and cards to old books and dark mirrors. No matter how gullible Inara was, she would never step into a place like this. Zee could not stop regretting her recklessness, especially with getting her friend in trouble.

"Do you live here?"

"More often than not."

"What do you mean by that?"