34 | aster

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

    "Your Highness, please do not run around like that!" the middle-aged butler cried out exasperatedly as he chased after the rambunctious Prince Marcus.

The young prince only laughed in reply as he swam through the crowd of people, where his small figure disappeared in an instant.

Though Marcus had successfully maintained a calm, placid persona in front of his mother, the truth is that he was just as wild and naughty as any other child, and tonight was his chance to unleash his true self.

    Unlike the mild-tempered Julian and the stern and level-headed Demitria, Marcus was free-spirited and endlessly inquisitive, and he yearned nothing more than to spend the night as a normal young boy, untied to his status as the prince of this kingdom.

He walked through the loud, merry crowd, amazed by their high spirits and love of fun. Their smiles and laughter sounded so genuine, unlike the rigid, forced laughter he was used to hearing from the palace staff.

Their joyous laughter suddenly quietened, however, and was soon replaced with gasps of surprise, and perhaps even admiration.

Marcus frowned as he pushed through the crowd, determined to get a good glimpse at the subject of their adoration, and there, standing near the entrance, he saw her.

     Well, not exactly. Marcus did have poor eyesight, though he could tell that she donned a burgundy gown, a stark contrast from the pale pastels he had been seeing all across the ballroom.

     Catarina's heart fluttered anxiously when she realised that all eyes were now on her. Her first instinct was to run off, but she kept her head high and took a step forward, paying no heed to the wide-eyed crowd.

It was only when she walked past them did she realise that she had no plan. Now, she stood awkwardly in the middle of the hall, where the only sound she heard was the thumping of her heart against her ribcage. Even the music seemed to have stopped, and the silence was almost deafening.

Thankfully, someone quickly came to her rescue.

    "You've shown up, little kitty cat," Alessandro's voice rang as he leaned over her shoulder, catching her off guard.

Catarina first gasped with shock, then she let out a sigh of relief. "Alessandro," she laughed softly, still vividly aware of the eyes watching her and Alessandro's every move.

    "Do not be afraid, kitty cat," he whispered. "They are only staring because you look exquisitely beautiful. The dress, I mean. Where did you get it?"

    "I made it," Catarina replied, now feeling a bit calmer. "Is it really beautiful?"

He smiled, then nodded. "Truly. See, I knew you had some talent tucked away somewhere."

Alessandro was not exaggerating when he said that Catarina's dress was beautiful. To tell the truth, beautiful was an understatement. The dress has been made with exquisite dark red Castelonian silk brocade, though the intricate golden embroidery on the silk was barely visible as it had been covered by a layer of sheer black tulle.