25 | bouvardia

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

"You are merry today, Mina," Catarina remarked to Cosmina.

The latter giggled as she finished braiding her long dark brown hair, and her silver-grey eyes flashed with joy as she looked at her reflection in the mirror.

"I received a letter from my parents," Cosmina began breathlessly. "They said that they will be coming to the capital today. My father has been summoned to look into the death of Princess Eufemia. Meanwhile, I shall get to spend time with my mother."

"That sounds very nice," Catarina replied as she brushed her long, untamed hair.

"You are welcome to join us, Catarina," Cosmina invited warmly. "I'm certain my mother wouldn't mind. Oh, and I can introduce you to Vaughn !"

Catarina let out a laugh when she was reminded of Cosmina's 'mildly attractive brother'.

"Yes, I would like that very much, Mina."

      That afternoon, the Breckenridge arrived at Aethiel Palace, and Cosmina eagerly ran down to the receiving hall to greet them with Catarina in tow

Upon meeting the aforementioned Vaughn Breckenridge, Catarina decided that he was more than just mildly attractive. Like his sister, Vaughn possessed thick, curly dark brown locks and piercing silver eyes.

Cosmina's father, the Grand Tutor, left for Lavillia Perra along with Vaughn, who happened to be close friends with Catarina's cousin, Tristan.

"Oh, I missed you, Mina," said Miriam Breckenridge, the Marchioness of Avionne. "Look at you, you've become so thin! Do they not feed you here ?"

"The food here is not even as half as good as your cooking, Mama," Cosmina whispered. "But don't tell anyone that I said that."

"With all those cooks, you'd think that they'd be able to make good food," the Marchioness sighed. Then, her eyes flickered towards Catarina, standing awkwardly in the background while watching their exchange.