32 | snapdragon

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

      La Nuit du Ciel Doré, or The Night of The Golden Skies, a night of endless festivities and magic, was approaching near, and soon, the kingdom's future queen consort would be officially chosen.

    The Night of The Golden Skies is almost legendary to the ordinary Ravaerinnian, as it had not been held for over two hundred years.

According to tradition, towards the very end of The Choosing Ceremony, a grand, prestigious ball shall be held. The entire palace would be lit up with thousands of candles painted with liquid gold, and during that one night, all citizens were allowed to the palace, where they could eat and dine to their heart's desire.

    Then, at the stroke of midnight, fireworks would be launched into the sky. In the darkness of the night, the golden sparks of the fireworks were like a shower of stars, and it was as if the skies had turned gold, hence the name.

For the past two hundred years, the monarchs of Ravaeryn were either roped into arranged marriages, or chose to marry commoners, as such in the case of King Guillaume and Queen Isabel. Tonight, the sky would light up again, just like it had been two hundred years ago.

    A week prior to the grand event, representatives from all twelve houses were invited to the palace, where they would stay until the new princess consort is finally chosen.

    Giuseppe le Comte, the General of the Southern Wing had elected to come, and he brought his dear wife, Maeve le Comte along with him.
     The general was immensely tall and possessed a mane of thick, unruly red hair, reminiscent of a wild lion, while Maeve le Comte had long, sleek black hair and was rather petite. With a single glance, it is clear who Jessamine inherited her looks from, although her cool temperament is definitely inherited from her mother.

       The members of House le Prince had also arrived in great style and splendour, though who knows what they had to pawn in order to afford that.
       The Count of Fiorio, a short, stocky man with thin strands of blond hair on his balding head stepped out of the carriage first, followed by the Countess, a remarkably fair and handsome woman with long, straight blonde hair that resembled corn silk.

       Alberta le Prince was born Alberta Blanchard, so it should not be a surprise where she got her sheer good looks from. The last person to exit the carriage was Nathaniel le Prince, Marguerite's older and only brother. A true testament to their father, Nathaniel was short and plump, and for some reason was always sweating. His pale skin was constantly red and blotchy, making it seem as if he had a horrible rash. His hair, thankfully, had not fallen off yet.

    Shortly after the guests from Fiorio arrived, a splendidly gilded carriage with polished black wooden walls followed suit, and the loud neighing of the four Cantergarrian stallions could be heard from far away.

Black and burgundy banners hung on the sides of the carriage, the signature colours of House de Fontaine. The carriage came to an abrupt halt, and a footman hopped off from the front of the carriage. He pulled the carriage door open, and out came the Duke of Lorewell, Elliott de Fontaine.