34.

I squealed trying to escape the water as he splashed me. River was being so sweet and child-like, it was refreshing. This week away was like our gifts to ourselves, to foget everything bad that had been happening in our lives...no Chloe, no mom, no hospital insitutions, just River. 

 "You promised to swim with dolfins!" he whined childishly grabbing me and pulling me further into the water. 

"But what if they eat me?" I asked crossing my arms over my chest.

"Good lord Jolie. You're acting like Riley." He scolded me with the seriousness you give a child but the smile tugging on his lips told me otherwise. 

"Would Riley do this?" I trailed off seductively pressing my lips to his. He tensed under my hold as I tilted his head back deepening it. I was almost certain things were only going to get heavier and hotter, until I felt a huge wave of water smack me in the face, bringing me back to reality and sadly, away from my boyfriend's lips.

"What the hell?" I asked turning to face the grandma who had splashed us and she covered her grandson's eyes. Well she attempted to, he was peering at me from the side of her hand with a wolfish grin. Perv. 

"This is a family place!" She yelled looking at me like I was scum.River turned to apologize to the upset lady and I even offered her a sorrrowful smile. I did forget where I was for a second and imagining all the little kids I could've scarred....on second thought, let's not. 

***

"You didn't have to do all of this to ask me to be your girlfriend, a simple flower and an Oreo blizzard would've been it for me." 

"Where is the fun in that Jolie?" he asked reaching across the table and holding my hand in his. He had gotten us reservations at a very, upscale restaurant called "Devil's Row". It was beautiful, against the name. I was skeptical at first, but now it's easily one of my favorite places. 

"How was your first trip?"

"If I told you that I didn't want to go back home, does that qualify as a score?" I asked tilting my head to the side. He smirked and nodded. 

"Looks like I'm the best boyfriend ever." he gloated pleased with himself. I tried to resist the urge to roll my eyes. I was about to tell him he was a close second to Austin Butler when my phone rang. I frowned at the caller ID but nonetheless answered. 

"H-Hi Mom." River's eyes turned from friendly to firey at the snap of his fingers. 

"Enough with that stutter already!" 

"I-I's a stammer." I corrected. I could hear the disappointment in the silence that followed. 

"I need you to come"-

"I'm not even in the state right now." I said cutting her off. 

"Where are you?" she demanded. I flinched at her tone but the phone was ripped from my ears. 

"Hello? Mrs.Mitchell...yes the pleasure is definitely all yours" he said with a sarcastic smirk that I smiled at. He was nodding and mhm'ing for a second before his entire face dropped and he turned to look at me with worry."Yes. We'll leave as soon as possible." He hung the phone up and stood placing money on the table. He reached over and grabbed my hand ushering me out of the building ignoring my questions of interest. We got into the car and I stared at him expectantly. 

"Joe"-

"What's wrong?" I  asked seriously.

"Charlie overdosed." 

Author's Note: 

Hello lovelies! I'm horrible I know. I hate cliffhangers. Check out my first COMPLETED book FEAR. <3 Thanks, Vomment