10.

River was passed out by the time I returned to the room. I looked on the nightstand and saw a pair of white pills and a tall glass of water left for me. I smiled and took them before I grabbed a blanket from the edge of the bed and practically crawled to the couch.

To say sleep overcame me was an understatement.

**

"Ugh." I groaned trying to hide the sunlight and block out the noises of the birds. Why are they up so early.

"Morning Joey." I looked up just in time to see River's naked torso walk by me placing hot food from a skillet on a plate.

"My head hurts."

He looked at me and frowned before coming to me with a bucket and a bottle of water.

"Here." He said pulling out a pack of Tylenol.

I nodded and grumbled a thanks. "Close the blinds." I ordered.

"Nope." He said popping the P. "Coffee?"

"Two cremes, four sugars."

"Diabetes in a cup. How about two?"

"How about three like I said?" I snapped.

"Rude."

I wanted to apologize but the look of the room we were in caught my interest. The dinner. Girlfriend.

"What happened last night?"

River looked at me and instantly flamed. "I did something embarrassing?"

"No. You got sick and fell asleep on the couch. You were in the room but I found you out here today."

"I threw up? Oh god. I was crying wasn't I?" I asked pulling my hair up to a bun.

"Yeah." He said frowning.

"What?"

"Nothing." He said suddenly seeming pissed. I did something wrong.

"No why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're doing it again." He snapped a little harsh. I cowered back and removed my hand from my head then I walked to the bathroom. My hair was up in my signature bun. Perfect. Not a fly away in sight.

This bothered him? This was nice and elegant. My bun was perfect. Why was he upset with a perfect bun.

"Why does it bother you?" I accused stepping out of the bathroom.

"It's nothing. Never mind Joe."

I rolled my eyes and walked in front of him while he was carrying the orange juice to the table. I grabbed it out of his hand and looked at him suddenly feeling overcome with anger.

"Why are you upset about a bun?"

"For god sakes Joe. It isn't the bun! It's the fixing things that don't need fixing. You don't even try to make yourself look perfect. Just when I think you're comfortable around me you revert back to the Joe you are around everyone."

"I didn't-

"I am not mad at you." He forced out. "I just lost my temper."

"I'm sorry." I said looking downward.

He looked sad. "Don't apologize for being yourself." He touched my cheek lightly.

"Eat up." He said forcing a smile.

Things weren't right yet.

**

I was so focused on the bun problem that I didn't pay attention to the gesture. River made me breakfast. I smiled as I slipped on his jacket seeing as though I hadn't brought one along. He walked with me to the lobby and got in his family car with me. He didn't say a word.

We pulled up to my house I tried to climb over him and step out until he grabbed my hand and lifted me out of the car then got our behind me.

"What are you doing?" I asked wrapping the jacket closer to my body.

"Dropping my date off to her doorstep." He said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. I smiled and nodded.

"River?" I asked walking to the door.

"Yes Joey?"

"Why'd you leave out our kiss?"

He froze. "I uh I don't know."

"Oh." I said looking toward my house as I sped.

"No Joey it's not that."

"Then why?"

"I was ashamed. Okay?"

"Wow thanks." I said sarcastically. "Take my first kiss then feel ashamed about it."

"Joe-

"No fuck you River." I said slipping out of his jacket and pushing it into his chest as I stomped to the front door and into the house.

I hate him.

"Hooking up with River too?" Chloe sneered. I was so overcome with anger that I didn't even think before I spoke, "Fuck off bitch."

I slammed my room door and fell to my bed and cried. Something I hadn't done in a long time. My feelings were hurt. Nothing anyone has says ever hurt me enough to cry but what River did...it broke my heart.