Firelight Attack

I leaned against the wall casually, acting normal, but watched the dock security closely with a calculating gaze, ready to tug the sword on my back from its sheath if any of them acted like they were going to alert Enforcers about what was going on. Sevika and the others casually unloaded the barrels of Shimmer from the airship Silco had commissioned just for the purpose of carrying them, and I glared at one of the dock workers, as he eyed me suspiciously.

I knew that in a place like Piltover, I would definitely stick out like a sore thumb, but it couldn't be helped. I wore a long sleeved hooded jacket and long pants, even in the hot weather, and the faint sound of air could be heard hissing out of the carefully crafted mask covering half of my face as it helped my destroyed lungs to breathe properly. I tugged it down a bit, able to remove it for a few minutes at a time, and muttered, "Keep your eyes to yourself if you don't wany any trouble, creep."

His eyes went wide, clearly not expecting me to talk, and the color drained out of his face, as I smirked, putting my mask back on. "Sevika, get those idiots to move faster, or we're going to be running late!" She shot me an icy glare, but rushed the others as quickly as she could, and then, my eyes widened, as I heard a familiar sound; The metallic humming of the boards of Firelights. "Shit! They'll ruin our delivery!" About six Firelights came zooming towards us, and I drew my sword, glaring at them.

It wasn't the first time I'd seen them, and they had a bad habit of ruining all of our plans, claiming to be freedom fighters, slowing the population of Shimmer users from getting their supply. I ran towards them, dodging under and around the rock traps they tossed at me, seeing Sevika and the others get captured by them, and easily kicked one in the fast, able to tell from their body language that they were surprised by my speed and agility.

Another one came at me, this one most definitely their leader, and tried to take me off my feet. I dodged their blows, bending backwards as their board came at my face, feeling the wind flutter against my eyes, my hood falling off of my head, and sank my fist into their stomach, but didn't see the one behind me, something colliding painfully with the back of my skull, and I hit the deck of the airship hard, then felt myself captured by the rock trap tossed at me, squirming to no avail. I couldn't see what was happening due to the way I was pinned down, but I could hear the hatch to the lower deck open, and slowly smiled beneath my mask, knowing the Firelights had no idea what they were walking into.

A few minutes later, the airship rocked, as an explosion came from the bottom deck, and the hatch crashed open, smoke billowing out, covering every visible surface. A moment later, a familiar, soft voice said, "Hi", and bullets began whizzing all around, the sound of explosions deafening me. I began to break free after another minute, and sprang to my feet, grabbing a Firelight who ran past me, slamming them face flat against a wall, slamming my knee into their ribcage, feeling their bones crack from the force of my hit. As they collapsed, I turned to see Jinx holding onto the arm of a Firelight she had unmasked, Shimmer pooling around both their feet as a flare fell into the liquid.

Jinx's sad expression and vacant gaze told me she was having another one of her episodes, and I rushed towards her as the Shimmer went up in flames. Before I could reach her, I saw her shoot the redheaded girl in the back, the Firelight leader rushing towards her after they checked on their comrade. The next thing I knew, Jinx let loose with her minigun she had ironically named Pow-Pow, shooting anything and everything that moved around her, shooting one of our teammates in the process. I saw the Firelights zooming away as quickly as they could, realizing they were outgunned and outnumbered, and rushed into the flames, not caring as they singed my clothing, and did my best to grab Jinx's arm, letting go as one of her bullets grazed my left arm badly, another grazing my right side.

As hot blood started spreading across my clothes, I grabbed her arm again, and told her in the robotic voice the mask gave me, "It's okay. They're gone now. You can stop.." She seemed to snap out of it, and her eyes went wide as she noticed the dark stains on my clothes. "I- You're bleeding." She tilted her head, clearly listening to the voices in her head, and muttered, "Shut up. It was an accident. I would never hurt Max on purpose. You know that."

Sevika stormed over to Jinx, and glared down at her, growling, "You were supposed to guard the cargo!" Jinx just smirked up at her, and I muttered, "Leave her alone." Sevika whirled on me, and shouted, "And you! Always defending her and cleaning up her messes! When are you going to think for yourself, and see that she's out of control?!" I raised my middle finger in the air at her, and shrugged. "When you realize that not everyone takes orders from you or finds you scary."

She looked ready to punch me, but backed down after a few seconds, and grabbed me in her arms, holding me like a baby. "Put me down!" She smirked, and shook her head. "You stick out like a sore thumb. I don't know why Silco trusts you so much. You were one of them once. I haven't forgotten like everyone else has, Max. And when you slip up eventually, I'll be the one to cut you down." That made me go quiet, and I rolled my eyes, as we made our way back to the Lanes, squirming out of Sevika's arms and fixing my hood.

I walked away from her and Jinx, heading down into the basement of The Last Drop, the bass of the music above shaking the walls, and tugged off my shirt, grabbing a needle and thread, looking at all the intricate snake tattoos across my skin, covering the scars still visible beneath them, and grimaced as I stitched up my wounds, then left my shirt off, flopping on my bed. I closed my eyes, ignoring my own voices I had to deal with, and forced myself to fall into sleep filled with nightmares..