Protector/Explosion

I was woken up the next few mornings by the sound of loud, running footsteps, too heavy to be children, and I felt my heart nearly explode out of my ribs, as I peeked through the cracks of my house, seeing dozens of Enforcers roaming the streets of the Lanes, shoving people against walls, seeming to be angry and looking for something. Or.. someone. It began occurring to me that Powder hadn't been to visit like she promised, but I'd figured it was because Vi wouldn't let her out of her sight. But maybe, that wasn't the reason at all, and Powder, Vi, Claggor, and Mylo were all in serious trouble. There had been whispers around the streets that someone had stolen something valuable from Piltover, and caused some serious damage with an explosion, destroying a few buildings, and Powder's toy bombs could easily be the cause, if they'd gone off wrong.

Panic began to flood through me at the thought that those assholes were out in force looking for my best friend, or worse, they'd already caught her and the others. But then, I realized, if they had, they wouldn't still be searching everywhere, and that meant I had to find Powder and the others first, and even if it got me thrown in Stillwater Prison, I would fight off the Enforcers for them. Not because I liked Vi, Mylo, or Claggor, but because Powder was in danger, and she needed the others to survive. I needed to keep her safe.. I grabbed the ratty backpack I had brought with me when I was sent down to the Lanes, and tugged out the hooded jacket and sword I'd stolen from different people in the past. I pulled the jacket on, instantly feeling a lot warmer, then slid the sword in its sheath over my shoulder, and blew out the candle I used for light, then quietly stepped out into the streets.

I easily climbed up onto the rooftops, and cautiously made my way from roof to roof, using chimneys, walls, pipes, and anything else I could grab onto or stand on to make my way slowly to The Last Drop, then slowly slid down the back wall, and through the back door, keeping an eye out for Enforcers, and made my way down to what I hoped was the basement, and slowly opened the door, barely managing to dodge Vi's fist as it swung towards my face, spinning on my feet, and easily blocked her next swing, planting my foot firmly in her chest, and sent her flying backwards, seeing her eyes widen in surprise. "Vi, stop it! Leave her alone!" Powder tugged on her big sister's arm, as Vi recovered from my attack, and came at me again. "It was you, wasn't it?! You ratted us out to the Enforcers! You're one of the only people who knows where we go!"

I was confused, and ducked under her left hook, slamming my foot into her right side hard, and saw her wince in pain. "What are you talking about? I would never tell them anything! I hate them!" She muttered, "Yeah, right. Once a topsider, always a topsider." I flinched, and saw the color drain from her face, as I grabbed her by the shirt, and slammed her up against the wall. "Don't act like you know anything about me! None of you know a thing, except for Powder! She's the only friend I have! Why would I rat you out, when it would get her hurt? I came here to make sure she was okay! If the Enforcers saw me, it would be bad for me, too. They hate me." I felt a pair of small arms wrap around my waist, hugging me, and I slowly calmed down, letting go of Vi, and sighed, looking down at Powder. I was the same height as her sister, which was a bit tall for my age, but it had the bonus of receiving the best hugs ever from her. "Thanks, Powder.."

I sighed, straightening my jacket, and flopped down on a chair. "What did you guys do, anyway? I haven't seen this many Enforcers down here in awhile. You must've done something serious. It was you guys that blew up those buildings I heard about, wasn't it?" Vi huffed in annoyance, and shot me an icy glare. "It's none of your business. Just get out of here. I can protect Powder just fine. We don't need you." I flinched, reminded of the last words my mother ever spoke to me. "You are a disgrace to this house, Maximus! We don't need you or your violent tendencies here any longer, so the Enforcers will take you somewhere where you will be able to thrive as the dangerous sociopath you are." I glared back at Vi, and stood up, shaking, before responding with, "Fine. But if she gets hurt, I'll kick your ass. I'm not as afraid of you as you think, or as pathetic and weak. Maybe I pretend to be, because I think it'll make people be less afraid of me."

Vi rolled her eyes, and I saw Powder's eyes shine with tears. "But.. If you go outside, they'll see you, won't they? What's gonna happen to you?" I sighed, and shrugged. "I don't know. But I promise they won't catch me, okay? Just stay safe." I wrapped her in a hug, not wanting to leave her side, my face heating up as she wrapped her arms around me, burying her face in my chest. "Okay.. When it's safe, come back, so I know that you're okay." I nodded, and let go of her, then quickly left, but didn't go far, perching on a rooftop nearby, watching for hours after the Enforcers had left, then frowned, as I saw Vi sneak out, but didn't move from where I was. I didn't want to leave Powder unprotected, and that's what she would be if Vi had left. Claggor and Mylo could both fight, sort of, but they were more skilled in other areas, so someone had to look out for them while their fearless leader was gone. Eventually, Vander ran off too, and not long after that, Vi came running back, and I could see her visibly shaking, tears in her eyes, but didn't understand what had happened, only that it must be bad.

I was even more confused, as Vi appeared again, this time, wearing Vander's metal gloves, Mylo and Claggor close behind her. If she was wearing those, then- I felt the color drain out of my face, knowing the only way she would be wearing those would be if she was planning on fighting someone strong, and since Vander was nowhere to be seen, that must mean something had happened to him. I slid off the roof as they left, and walked down to the basement, seeing Powder wiping tears away, tinkering on some sort of cymbal monkey toy, a blue glow issuing from something, and then, she shoved the monkey into her bag, before noticing me. "Max!" She tackled me with a hug, and sniffled, before telling me, "They left me alone. Vander was taken by some people, and Vi went to save him. She told me I wasn't ready, but I am.. I can help them." I hesitated, then sighed, and told her, "Okay. We can go help them. I'll go with you. I can't just let my best friend walk into some weird place alone." She smiled, and grabbed my hand, my face instantly heating up, and followed her outside, letting her drag me through the streets to some abandoned looking place near the docks.

I looked at the dark water nearby nervously, having a terrible fear of drowning, not knowing how to swim too well, and when I looked over at Powder again, she was scaling the side of the building easily, knocking loose boards down towards my head. I dodged the boards, and began climbing up after her slowly, afraid that the crumbling wooden boards would give out beneath my feet, and I'd fall to my death or something. By the time I reached where she was, she was already pulling the monkey toy out of her bag, making me realize that it was actually a monkey bomb. "What are you gonna do with that?" She didn't answer, and my eyes widened, as I peeked through a crack in the wall, seeing some kind of monster chasing Vi across a metal bridge, slamming against a door as she locked it, and I assumed Vander, Mylo and Claggor must be in that room with her. Before I could say anything, Powder tossed the monkey bomb through a broken window, and nothing happened for a minute, the silence seeming to stretch on forever, and then, it clanged its cymbals together.

It sent a shockwave through the entire building, destroying everything in its path, and sending everyone flying, including me and Powder, my body feeling like it was falling in slow motion, and then, the cymbals kept clanging together, and another shockwave sent me flying in a different direction, causing me to crash through another wall, and I felt sharp pain all over, as I collided with a big glass tank, pink liquid that seemed to glow spilling out around me, and as some got in my nose, I inhaled it, practically drowning in it, and agonizing pain shot through my lungs, making me unable to breathe hardly at all. I couldn't move, feeling hot blood spilling from several bad injuries on my body, glass buried deep inside my skin, and I closed my eyes, as I saw the ceiling fall down towards me, and then, everything went blurry and quiet. I could see Vi and Vander helping each other, and as Vi turned her head towards me, I tried to call for help, but she ignored me, and moved on, leaving me there, as I felt weaker and weaker. I had been abandoned again.. I knew we weren't friends, but why would Vi just leave me there to die?

As everything started going dark again, I could hear Powder shouting my name from what sounded like miles away, and then, a few strong men lifted the pieces of roof off of my body, and I saw Powder and a man with a strange golden eye and scars across his face standing there, tears streaming down my friend's face. "I'm sorry! Max, I didn't mean to.." I knew she blamed herself for what happened, and I managed to whisper, "I know. You were trying to help your family.. Vi left me here. She left me to die.." As I was picked up by strong arms, she sniffled, and told me, "She left me, too." At that moment, I could tell how heartbroken she was, and hated Vi. Leaving me was one thing, but abandoning her own sister? It was just like what my parents did to me. Vi blamed her for what happened, when it was an accident, just like my parents blamed me.. That was the last thought I had, before the world went cold, and I fell into darkness.