Unspoken Promises | AU

"Ugh, finally!" Skylor shouted, watching as her best friend was running up to her. She crossed her arms and leaned against her yellow locker, a small smirk on her face at seeing her friend out of breath when she arrived in front of her.

Her friend let out a sigh before she stood up straight and cracked her back. "Sorry, I'm late," she apologized.

The redhead chuckled. "What is it this time, Nya?"

Nya groaned, the memories of that morning coming back up again. "He was hogging the bathroom for like an hour."

"Kai really needs to understand that being late to school isn't funny," Skylor commented.

"Yep," Nya agreed. "Just because he graduated last year doesn't mean he magically forgot what high school is like." She rolled her eyes. Then she glared at her best friend. "I have no idea what you see in him, Sky."

"Believe me, neither do I. It is what it is, I guess."

Nya nodded. It was a little weird to know that her brother was together with her best friend. They had been a couple for around a year now, yet Nya was still wondering how they managed to stay together without one murdering the other.

Which would have probably been Skylor murdering Kai.

After they entered their first class for the day, History, they sat down and listened to the teacher as he began talking about the revolutionary war between the serpentine and the old, legendary elemental masters. No one knew what had happened to them after the war, all that was told was that they had settled down and actually created their own families. The thing about that was that their children were never discovered, no one knew if they were even still alive.

Nya liked to listen to everything she could find out about the old elemental masters. She had always had that sweet spot for the history of Ninjago, especially when it was as interesting as that topic. And her teacher, Mr Witters, knew exactly how to make the topic sound more interesting than it might have been.

After what felt like a fast rollercoaster ride, the bell rang, letting all the students go out into their lunch break.

Nya and Skylor walked out together and headed for their lockers. As they were talking, Nya was so caught up that she didn't realize that there was someone running into the direction they were coming from.

"Yeah, and that is exactly why- OW!" Nya fell to the ground with a loud thump after the collision with another student.

She quickly looked at who caused her to fall, only to realize that there was a boy, around her age, sitting on the ground while rubbing his back. As their eyes met, Nya saw how sparkly his face looked in the light that was shining right into his face.

Just as she opened her mouth, he hastily gathered his cellphone and blue backpack and ran past her without saying a word.

"Hey, at least apologize!" Skylor shouted after him, but he didn't seem to respond as he turned around the corner and disappeared from their sight.

"That was so rude! Are you okay?" The redhead asked her friend who picked herself up from the floor.

Nya looked at where the boy had disappeared to and nodded slowly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's keep going."

After the lunch break was over, the girls' ways parted; Skylor went to Chemistry class, and Nya went to Physics class.

As she walked inside the physics lab, a lot of students were already sitting on their assigned seats. She walked up to her own seat, which was in the far back of the lab, and sat down. She took out her book and pencil case and set them down neatly on her table.