Broken Trust | AU

He balled his fist as he was clenching his jaw at the same time. He knew it. He knew he was right. From the very start of the first suspicions, he should've trusted his own guts instead of his so-called 'girlfriend'.

He was sure that he wouldn't be able to hold back his tears once the confrontation would take place, but he knew he needed to get it over with.

She had a special place in his heart, but now he was sure he had no place in hers whatsoever. All of the times they had shared together, all of the promises they had made each other... He couldn't believe she was just playing him like that.

He had to admit that he wasn't the brightest, yet he knew he should've seen the betrayal coming from over a mile ago.

Running a hair through his auburn locks, he sat down on the couch. He was beyond frustrated, and he certainly couldn't wait another hour before she would be back home.

Home.

Another thing they had promised each other. Sharing a home together. They had even talked about children in the future, though that part hadn't been confirmed.

Not that it would happen anyway.

He groaned before standing back up and walking over to the kitchen. Their apartment wasn't the biggest, but they were pretty happy with their humble home.

Well, it used to belong to him before she had moved in with him. It was going to hurt greatly once he would take away her keys. There was no way he could see her after what she had done to him.

He opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water before closing the refrigerator again. He stood in front of it while unscrewing the blue plastic cap and chugging the refreshing water down his throat, letting his senses cool down for at least a few moments before anger took over him again. He aggressively put the bottle back into its original place inside the fridge before pulling out his phone to read over the last text message his girlfriend had texted him earlier that morning.

'I gotta work for two hours longer today, I'll bring you some McDonald's on my way back. Ly.'

The male scoffed. This had been happening for around three weeks now, and he couldn't lie when he had been claiming that something wasn't right, yet his stupid, trusting self couldn't ever expect his girlfriend of four years to betray him as such.

He wasn't only mad at her, but equally as much at himself, too. He should've said something, he should've confronted her earlier, he should've trusted his subconscious mind screaming at him. But no, all he listened to was his heart telling him to wait a bit more, because surely there had to be a good explanation, right?

Wrong.

He wasn't in the right mindset to make any smart decisions. All he could think of was the betrayal which was still roaming around in his mind, taking up all the space which was once owned by love, and love only.

Hurt can change a person, and for him it was more than enough to give up on a future together with her. He was sure he was the one who had the relationship keep going for that long anyway. And there was no way he could repair what she had broken this time.

Looking up at the wall, he could see a picture of a happy moment in his life. Maybe even his happiest. Right above the flatscreen TV was a big picture of their senior year prom night. She was wearing a gray prom dress which faded to blue, whereas he was wearing a dark blue tuxedo with a red rose inside the pocket on his left chest. Her rose was wrapped around her left wrist. They were smiling in each other's arms while looking at the camera. The background was a white piece of curtain which had been found last minute before prom had started. Thinking back at the moment, no one knew why exactly their background was a trash curtain, but hey, it worked out in the end. Well, only if they ignored the small red stains in the bottom left corner. It was still unexplained what it was so they had all agreed to call it ketchup. It was ketchup. Definitely.