Chapter Eighteen

END OF THE LINE

5 YEARS LATER...

Getting ready for a wedding was easy, Laura found out that day, as long as the wedding wasn't hers.

She had a beautiful A-Line green dress and was standing beside Nina, who in turn was in deep and beautiful blue, and holding her hand. Nina was already crying, but Laura only wasn't crying because she was focusing on trying not to fain under the heat of Katterdam's summer. Her comfort was seeing Inej's huge smile, holding Deepika's hand and glancing at her parents, who were smiling back at her, proud of her excitement.

Nina was probably crying because she understood a bit too well how it was to have a relationship that some people did not agree with, but ending up marrying them either way. After all, as soon as Laura could stand enough to walk around town, Matthias had asked her help with rings and three months after the incident Nina was engaged to Matthias, marrying him the next year.

The grisha sniffled again, trying to dry her tears with the back of the hand she was holding her small flower bouquet.

"Nina, stop it," Laura whispered at her. "You're going to ruin your makeup again. I had to redo it twice when you saw Inej in her wedding gown."

Though there was almost a non-existent part of Laura scolding Nina, but, honestly, she understood her perfectly. She, herself, had almost started crying when she saw the shy Inej getting out of the dressing room with her mother behind her, helping her to move.

Inej had chosen not to wear the traditional red Suli wedding gown, but got one in very light baby-pink with white lace above it, but cut in the traditional way. She had a white lace veil over the back of her head to the very middle of her hair, which, for the first time in a long time, was not braided in the usual style; it had a complicated intertwine of knots, braids and rolls that she had no idea how she would get rid of it all during the night. The amount of gold she was wearing was blinding and very few people could pull it off, but Inej had managed to do so – she was one of the most beautiful women Laura had ever seen.

But Deepika had chosen the traditional Suli dress in red and gold, her brown hair pulled in three braids that met and became one in the back of her head, where her red veil was stuck, protecting her hair and part of her face. She had a lot of gold on her person as well, though she had piercings on her face, which was something Inej didn't.

The other two girls on the other side of the isle, Deepika's friends – one from her caravan and one from Inej's crew – were openly crying, which made Laura's tears gather even more on her eyes, but she pushed them back.

Jesper was another one crying on the chair beside Inej's mother, who was holding his hand and crying with him. Wylan and Mister Ghafa were looking at each other and trying not laugh at them. Kaz had his arms crossed, watching the ceremony from Wylan's side and with Jordan sitting beside him, in a pretty yellow dress. Beside her, was Matthias, slowly rocking the baby on his arms, his son Kaleb was sleeping, not even missing his mum.

"I can't help it," Nina said, cleaning her eyes.

It took almost twenty minutes to make Nina calm down, but it was all lost when Inej and Deepika shared their first kiss as wives.

The clapping and whooping woke Kaleb up, but he just looked around in clear distaste for the noise, no crying.

Phillip on the chair behind Kaz leaned forward to play with the little boy, who smiled at the older body once he was his sight. Matthias looked over his shoulder and smiled to himself when Kaleb raised his arms to Philip, the 'professional-uncle', as he had self-intitled. Philip took the six-month-old baby carefully and held him close.