Twisted Puzzle - Chapter Twenty•Three

Davina King

The bruises and cuts started to fade as the days went on.

I hadn't slept in my own bed since I've been back. Matteo's bed had been where I stayed. I got used to waking up and him already being in his office.

He was stressed out and it was obvious. I had only seen him smoking a handful of times, but these past few days I feel like there's never been a moment where he didn't have a cigarette between his fingers. It was all you could smell when entering his office. Thankfully that's as far as the stench ever went.

It was around 8 when I woke up. Matteo was already missing from the spot next to me on the bed.

He never leaves the apartment without telling me, even if he was just going down to the gym. He is definitely still here.

I threw the blankets off of me, a chill caught my exposed legs because of only having on a shirt. I've been sleeping in Matteo's shirts. Switching between t-shirts, button ups, and hoodies. They were just simply more comfortable than my own clothes, and Matteo never complained about me taking them.

I walked down the hallway and into Matteo's office to see him only in a pair of sweatpants. His computer was open and papers scatter what used to be a nice and organized desk. One of his hands held a pen while the other held a lit cigarette.

He looked up to see me when I entered the room. "Good morning Angel."

"Good morning." I repeated back to him. I took a seat across from him, on the opposite side of the dark oak desk.

"Did you need anything?" He was still scrolling through his computer while asking.

"Matteo, I can tell you're stressed. What's going on?"

He hasn't been keeping me informed about much. Only telling me little bits and pieces of what he was doing.

"There's just some things that I need to figure out." He was obviously sugar coating what he's been doing.

I scoffed at his statement which caught his attention, finally looking away from his computer. "You've been locking yourself in here for days, you haven't left the building, and you're smoking like a damn chimney. Talk to me about whatever it is and maybe I can help you relax a little."

"Davina, I'm fine. Just have a lot of work to do." He was good liar, but not to me. I could see right through the bullshit he was trying to feed me.

I had an idea to pull his focus away from the work he's doing. "Fine don't talk then, but maybe I can still help you relax."

I got up from my seat and walked around to his side of the desk. He followed my movements with his eyes waiting to see what I was gonna do.

When I got to his chair I pushed it back away from the desk so I had room. I climbed onto his lap with my legs on either side of his. His arms wrapped around my waist.

I leaned my head down and planted a light kiss to his exposed collarbone. I laid a few more up his neck until I hit that one spot I know he likes.

When I reached it, I stayed there for a minute and ran my tongue over it before placing my lips back on it to slightly suck on it. A small mark was left behind when I pulled away.