chapter thirteen

''giving my all 2 u - web

The first thing Newt thought when he woke up on his birthday was that he was not in the mood to go to classes that day.

It was a Friday, and he wanted to spend his 18th birthday with his friends-- and of course, his Tommy-- making a moment that felt like the first biggest step out of the old life he had tried to shed. He was in a new country, new city, new school, and had a new group of people that he considered the family he never had. He was gonna make it a day to remember.

He sat up in bed-- his bed for once, though it doesn't change much given they're inseparably tangled up with each other during sleep, regardless of where the sleeping is taking place.

Newt chewed on his lip, noticing the absence of Thomas beside him as he crossed his leg, bouncing his knee. He detected the faint sound of the shower running in the bathroom, cueing him to relax slightly. Thomas would be out soon enough.

In the meantime, he quickly grabbed his phone, typing out a message to the group chat, hoping Minho and Teresa would see it before classes began.

you guys wanna go do something stupid for my birthday? (:

Not even five minutes after the text had been sent, Newt heard the door click and swing open. Eyes darting over to see who it was, Minho stood in the doorway with a shit-eating grin on his face.

"What're you thinking, Newton?" He asked, leaning on the door handle.

"I'm thinkin' skipping classes and going out to town, yeah?" Newt grinned. He swung his legs off the bed to stand up.

Both his and Minho's phones vibrated at the same time as a reply from Teresa popped up.

how many rules are being broken in this 'something stupid'

Newt exhaled sharply in amusement at her message, typing out his own reply.

the ones concerning skipping and leaving the school unnoticed (:

m: i think newt's got the right idea >:)

tess: ill be down there as soon as im done getting rdy

tommy: what are you guys planning out there lmao

tommy: im in

"You got any clue where we're going or what we're doing?" Minho asked, stuffing his phone back into his pocket.

"Nope. Gonna go with what happens."

"That's the best way to do things."

The bathroom door opened, revealing Thomas with damp hair, a very similar grin on his face to those worn by his friends. He tossed his pajamas onto his bed before shuffling over to Newt, planting a kiss to the side of his head and intertwining their fingers.

"Good morning birthday-dude."

"Good morning, Tommy."

"So what's the plan you've got, Newt?"

"Ditch classes for today, go out to town instead."

Thomas nodded, the grin growing wider. "I'm down. Now we just gotta wait for 'resa."

"Right," Newt turned to Thomas, kissing him quickly. "I'm gonna go get ready while we wait."

"Alright, birthday-dude."