Friday

By the next Friday Hizashi had nearly forgotten the event. He got home from school ready to beat Hibiki at chess when he saw the two women standing at the front desk.

   Joy bubbled up in his chest as he dropped his bag and ran over to tug on Mayumi's sleeve.

   The woman turned and smiled. "Hello there! Just who we were waiting for!"

   Hizashi beamed more hearing that. 'Hello!!!'

   'You look like you're in a good mood!' Fumiko smiled.

   'I got a 100 on my English exam! I was the only one!'

   Mayumi's eyes sparkled. 'English huh? You're good at that?'

   Hizashi nodded quickly.

   Nanny Ito smiled as she walked over. "Hizashi. I know you're excited but you can't leave your backpack on the flood. Go put it up and meet us in the meeting room alright?"

   Hizashi flushed in embarrassment as he grabbed the bag. 'Okay...'

   He headed to his room and put the bag on his bed.

   He passed Hibiki in the hall.

   "Hey! Are you ready for the game? I'll beat your butt!"

   Hizashi shook his head. 'Not this time. I have a meeting with those two ladies.'

   Hibiki's smile fell for a moment before it returned. "Alright, fine. You're obviously chicken. I'll play with Yua instead!" He turned and took off to the commons.

   Hizashi stopped and knocked lightly at the door frame even though the door was open.

   "You can come in Hizashi!"

   Hizashi turned into the room and went to take a seat. 'Hello...'

   Fumiko giggled quietly. 'Hello Hizashi.'

   'We wanted to see you again kiddo!' Mayumi smiled. 'After we saw you last time we went and talked to our family about you. We think you'll fit in.'

   The word family made Hizashi nervous. Last time he was with a family... It didn't end well.

   Fumiko noticed his hesitance. 'Don't worry sunshine! Namika and Karasu are nice. I think you'd like this. We're going to bring them and Tora to meet you next time.'

   Hizashi was still hesitant. '...What are they like?'

   'Karasu is a couple years older than you. She wants to be an actor. She's got a cat quirk. She really likes music and video games. We adopted her a few years ago. And Namika is four years younger than you. She's really sweet and she likes books and playing make believe games.' Mayumi explained.

   Hizashi nodded. 'Is Tora the cat?'

   Fumiko grinned, glad that he remembered. 'He's a lovable furball.'

   Hizashi smiles slightly. 'At my other home there was a stray I used to play with outside. Until Miako threw a rock at it and scared it away.' Hizashi frowned. 'I hate Maiko...'

   Fumiko and Mayumi shared a concerned look. They had seen the file about the incident with the previous foster family. The Tanaka's had agreed not to press charges as long as the abuse charges weren't continued. Mayumi turned back to the boy and tried to change the subject. 'So Hizashi. What do you want to do?'

   'Can we play cards?' Hizashi signed meekly sensing that bringing up Maiko was a bad idea.

   Fumiko smiled gently. 'Of course Sunshine.'

   Hizashi smiled and ran off to grab the cards.