7 - BROKEN BARBIE DOLL

FOOL'S GOLD
CHAPTER SEVEN

FEAR wasn’t always an obvious thing

FEAR wasn’t always an obvious thing. One didn’t always tremble or scream at the sight of their fear. Some hid in the shadows, avoiding it at all costs, others removed themselves so far from society that they could never be caught by the evil claw of fear. Annie didn’t give into fear. It was her favourite season of the year. Granted every season was her favourite but the festive season made her particularly chipper. She snuggled under a large padded jacket and warm beanie hat, shielding her body from the cold. To a school that was so used to their sunshine on every waking day, the student population began to feel the chill of a dejected Annie.

Despite it all, Annie tried her best to bounce back - literally as she hopped down the school steps. She pushed herself through the breeze biting at her skin. Her cheeks were flushed red against her pale skin. She sniffed as the potential for a cold flooded her sinuses. A voice called from behind her. In any other situation, she would’ve turned. She would’ve been too curious to walk away, wanting to know how to help. However, something in her stomach twisted. She knew the voice was male and something told her to keep walking.

Whoever was trying to receive her attention was persistent. A hand grasped her shoulder. Although it was a light touch, her breath still hitched. The hand turned her body to face him. She breathed out when she was met with a set of brown hair, concerned eyes and a gentle smile. “You dropped this.”

The blonde looked down at his hand. In his pale, ungloved hand was her copy of Moby Dick. Honestly, she would’ve been fine without it but she appreciated the gesture. She took the book from his hands. “Thanks, Dean.”

Dean smiled. His hand still rested on her upper arm. Completely harmless but it was all she could think about. “So, are you going to this Bracebridge shindig at the inn?”

Hand.

She smiled. “Yeah, Luke told me about it. You?”

Luke had mentioned it at work when informing his nephew who unsurprisingly found the entire idea to be incredibly ridiculous. Annie showed enthusiasm for the dinner. She enjoyed these types of small town festivities. They were an acquired taste but Annie thought they made Stars Hollow special and unique in the best ways, which was no match for a New York mindset. She informed her family immediately. Kate was practically a female Jess. She found the idea stupid and didn’t hesitate to tell Annie that to her face. Luckily for Annie, she had a father who encouraged her joys and insisted that they go.

“Yeah, Rory invited me.” Hand. Dean informed her. “You two haven’t spoken much since she left, have you?”

Annie shook her head. Her and Rory Gilmore weren’t exactly two peas in a pod. They were never at odds or despised each other as that was physically impossible for Annie but they just never really had the chance to connect. Annie actually would find herself having more in common with Rory’s best friend, Lane Kim. However, now, in Annie’s eyes, Rory Gilmore was competition. She would never do anything to harm the girl but she saw Rory as the expectation she needed to meet. Therefore, they hadn’t spoken.