"Maybe he'll disguise himself as a furry," Y/N whispered to Harry and Ron, who replied with hushed laughter.

"Lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

The candles went out at once.

The only light now came from the silvery ghosts and the enchanted starry ceiling.

Y/N couldn't sleep. She didn't know why, she just couldn't. She wasn't thinking about anything, just staring off into nothing.

Whatever thoughts she might've been having were interrupted by Harry, who noticed she was staring into space for an unsettling amount of time.

"Hey, are you ok?"

"What? Yeah," she said, slightly startled. "Why?"

"It's just that you've been staring at the ceiling for what feels like ages," said Harry. "Kinda creepy."

"Sorry, can't sleep," said Y/N.

"So, how's Hogwarts?" Harry asked. He may have forgotten to ask her in the last two months, but she seemed to be enjoying it.

"Better than my old school, that's for sure," Y/N said. "A lot more interesting things happen here."

"Well, it's about to get a lot more interesting with the first Quidditch match soon," he said. "And next year, Oliver Wood won't be here, and I'm pretty sure some of the girls are resigning because of their exams, so you can try out!"

"You're really funny, Harry. Absolutely hilarious you are," said Y/N. "I'm not gonna try out for a sport I don't even know how to play."

"But I told you all about it. Besides, it'd be fun. I'll even buy you a broom!"

"Even if I did, you're not gonna spend more money on me. You already bought all the shit I needed for school, and that was expensive. You're not gonna buy me a broom-"

The door to the Great Hall opened and Dumbledore walked in.

Y/N and Harry pretended to be asleep as he walked by them.

"Any sign of him, Professor?" asked Percy in a whisper.

"No. All well here?"

"Everything under control, sir."

"Good. There's no point in moving them now. I've found a temporary guardian for the Gryffindor portrait hole. You'll be able to move them back in tomorrow."

"And the Fat Lady, sir?"

"Hiding in a map of Argyllshire on the second floor. Apparently she refused to let Black in without the password, so he attacked. She's still very distressed, but once she's calmed down, I'll have Mr Filch restore her."

Harry and Y/N heard the door of the hall creak open again, and more footsteps.

"Headmaster?" It was Snape. Y/N and Harry kept still and quiet. "The whole of the third floor has been searched. He's not there. And Filch has done the dungeons; nothing there either."

"What about the Astronomy Tower? Professor Trelawney's room? The Owlery?"

"All searched."

"Very well, Severus. I didn't expect Black to linger."

"Have you any theory as to how he got in, Professor?" asked Snape.

"Many, Severus, each of them as unlikely as the next."

"You remember the conversation we had, Headmaster, just before the start of term?" said Snape, barely opening his lips trying to block Percy out of the conversation.