Chapter 2

As the explosion boomed with a tremendous sound, it felt like the world was being torn apart. The noise was so loud that it drowned out everything else, like a mixture of cracking and rumbling. Our windows shattered, and the ground shook beneath us, making us feel scared and unsteady. The sound was deafening, and I could feel the force of it reverberating in my chest. When I looked up, the once serene sky had transformed into a chaotic canvas of thick smoke and ash, and it had turned orange and red as if it were on fire. The explosion had caused so much destruction that the sun's rays were barely visible through the haze. The scene was like something out of a movie but scarier. It felt like the explosion had opened up a hole in the sky, revealing a dark and mysterious place beyond. It was hard to make out what was real and what wasn't. The air became filled with a strong smell of smoke and something metallic, like the smell of blood. It felt heavy and unsettling; we couldn't breathe well and kept coughing.

My dad came running towards us, his face turned pale with fear, and his eyes filled with urgency. "We have to leave now!" he shouted, his voice laced with a sense of urgency that sent chills down my spine. Gripping my backpack tightly, I followed him, my heart pounding in my chest. We all hurried to the backdoor, where everyone else was waiting anxiously. We ran through our neighbor's backyard, and our neighbors and my dad's friends gathered in a hasty assembly. My dad and his friends quickly sprang into action. They formed a circle around an area on the ground, their hands working frantically to remove the grass, layer by layer, revealing the hidden door beneath. It was a sight I had never expected to witness—a secret bunker concealed beneath the seemingly ordinary surface of our neighbor's backyard. As they worked together to remove the grass, each person's face showed their worries and determination to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.

Steve noticed the panic taking hold of me; he instinctively clasped my hand tightly, offering a soothing touch to calm my racing heart. My dad got inside the bunker and took charge, guiding each person down and ensuring their safety. At the same time, his friends stayed outside to help everyone else. Max's cries filled the air as we got inside the bunker, his little face contorted with distress as he realized he had left behind his cherished bag of art supplies.

"I want my art bag!" Max cried, his voice trembling with desperation as he attempted to break free from my mom's grip. The fear of leaving behind something so dear to him consumed him at that moment.

My mom knelt down to his level, tenderly stroking his hair. "Honey, listen to me," she said, her voice gentle yet firm. "I understand how much your art bag means to you. But right now, our priority is keeping you safe. We promise we'll retrieve it later, okay? It's going to be alright," she spoke gently, trying to console him.

"No, I won't leave without it!" Max's tears continued to flow, his voice filled with determination as he tried to loosen the grip of my mom's hand. His art supplies are the only thing that keeps him calm. Sensing his desperation, my mom made a difficult decision, a sacrifice driven by love.

"I'll go back and get your art bag, Max. You stay here with Alex. Take care of each other," she said as she passed Max into my care.

"Take care of your brother, Alex," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "Mom, please, be safe," I choked out, my voice quivering with fear, knowing she had to face the dangers outside to get Max's cherished bag.

"I will, my dear. We'll find each other again. Stay strong!" she said as her eyes met mine, with a mixture of sadness and unconditional love. At that moment, our unspoken connection conveyed a sense of farewell. It was as if we understood the gravity of the situation, the uncertainty that lay ahead. With a gentle smile and a final reassuring touch on my cheek, she hurried towards the door, leaving me with the weight of responsibility.