Chapter 43 | We Won't Be Eaten

The kids ran as fast as they could to get away from the beast.

"What the heck is that? What the heck is that?" Nat wondered in panic.

"Is it coming?" Alicia wondered.

"No, don't turn back." Chris mentally told himself.

"But let me peek..." Thoma thought.

He turned his head to look behind him but immediately snapped his head back to look ahead of him. Some of the kids screamed in fear.

"Hey, what is that?! Was that in the book too?!" Gilda shouted.

"No, it wasn't. That thing's probably a demon!" Ray shouted back.

"A DEMON?!"

"Great! So not only do we have to worry about our pursuers, but also these wild beast demons?!" Maiko exclaimed in annoyance.

Don and Gilda looked back at the demon as they ran, it had a large chunk of tree in its mouth.

"So that's..." Don trailed off.

"That's a demon!" He thought.

"I'm sure of it." Emma said.

"Those hands. That face. That skin. They look familiar! But...it's also different." Emma thought.

"The demons (Y/n), Maiko, Norman and I saw were shaped like humans and talked!" Emma said.

"The ones in my memory too." Ray added.

Maiko nodded. "They didn't have tails. And they were wearing masks with horns and hideous eyes. And they were also wearing clothes!"

"Yeah!" (Y/n) said in agreement.

"But that thing behind us right now...is practically a beast. That's also a demon." She thought.

The demon beast stuck out its long tongue and aimed it at Emma. (Y/n) grabbed her wrist and pulled her out of the way.

"Thanks!" She said,

"What does that mean? What are the demons? There are different types? Come to think of it, the three demons at the farm were all different shapes and sizes. What are demons? What kind of creatures are they? What kind of world is this, this world where demons live?" Emma wondered.

"Hey! If that's a demon, is that the one that came to catch us?!" Mark asked.

"No way! That one's trying to eat us!" Nat exclaimed.

"That's right. It's not one of our pursuers. If it was, it wouldn't be trying to eat us. It would treat us like valuable merchandise." Maiko told them.

"They're not even allowed...to eat a fingertip." She thought.

"They would never act like this." Maiko added.

"It's a different type of demon that's unrelated to the farm." Ray said.

"That means, without question...we'll get eaten if it catches us. We'll get eaten. By those teeth...and those jaws..." Ray thought.