Chapter 36 | Execution - Part 4

Embers lit up the smoky night sky as Gracefield house burned. The radio was set on the ground beside Isabella as her ivory coloured nightgown blew in the cool night breeze. She stared down at the small boy who was tugging at her long nightgown.

"Phil?"

***

The children were still climbing up the rope ladder, (Y/n), Gilda and Nat were still on the ground helping the younger ones climb up. On top of the wall Emma and Don were helping the kids get on top of the wall's surface while Maiko looked around, surveying the area for any signs of guards. Ray held his bandage ear and looked around at the kids as they climbed up.

"The four-year-olds and under aren't here? Could they be..." Ray trailed off.

"I thought about it. About what you said to me before." Emma said.

She didn't look at Ray, a serious expression on her face as she continued to help the kids climb up. Ray's past words rang through her head. "If we take everyone, we'll all die". Ray turned his head and looked at Emma in surprise.

"I'm not taking them." Emma added.

"What?" Ray questioned, disbelief evident in his voice.

Emma began to pull the ropes up and wrapping them into a ball after all of the kids had reached the top of the wall. She turned over to Ray.

"I'm leaving the four-year-olds and under here. But it's not like I'm abandoning them. I'm just not taking them now." She explained.

"Now?" Ray asked.

-Flashback-

About a month ago...

Emma sat on her bed in the infirmary, Maiko sat at her feet beside (Y/n) while Gilda stood off to the side along with Don.

"It's going smoothly for now. I've got everyone down to all the five-year-olds on our side." Don said.

Gilda smiled a little. "They were surprised, but I think everything will be okay."

"Our next training is under way too." Don added.

Emma smiled at the two. "Thanks."

(Y/n) nodded. "We appreciate it you two."

It was silent for a bit before Don stepped closer to Emma.

"So...what do we do next? Do we tell them?" He asks.

"You mean the kids four and under, correct?" Maiko asked.

Don looked over at Maiko and nodded.

"That's just the question. Would the kids four and under even believe us? And would they be able to hide it? And it's not just that..." Maiko trailed off.

"Um..." Gilda spoke up, her voice was a bit quiet.

The four looked over at Gilda, questioning expressions on their faces.

"...Do you really think we can take them?" Gilda asked nervously.

"Huh?" Don questioned.