Chapter 6

Lisa was standing frozen at the sight of Jennie. Why would Jennie be there and why was she crying?

"Can I come in?" Jennie asked as her voice cracked. Lisa couldn't utter a word so she just stepped aside to let Jennie in. Lisa just followed Jennie as the latter walked toward the couch. "I'm sorry for coming unannounced." Jennie sniffed.

"Is something...wrong?" Lisa asked, beginning to feel nervous as they both sat on the couch.

"I'm sorry." Jennie began to cry again. Lisa usually just hugged Jennie to stop her from crying but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

"For what?" Lisa softly asked.

"I just miss you."

"I miss you too." Lisa thought. "What brings you here? Are you okay?" She asked and she smelled Jennie's breath. "Did you drink?"

"I miss us." Jennie said between her sobs. "I'm sorry if I'm being too much but please, don't push me away. Tell me what should I do because I miss my best friend." She pleaded and Lisa couldn't stop herself from crying as well. It broke her to see Jennie suffering like that and Lisa was blaming herself for that.

"Jen, I'm sorry." Lisa sobbed and Jennie took Lisa's hand.

"What did I do wrong? What should I do?" Jennie cried as she looked into Lisa's eyes.

"You did nothing, I promise. Don't cry."

"Then what happened to us?" Jennie grabbed Lisa's shirt as she sought an answer.

"I'm sorry." Lisa sniffed and took a deep breath to compose herself.

"That's just it?"

"It's not what you think."

"Then what? Just tell me what the hell is wrong because ever since the last time we talked this has been bothering me to the point that I couldn't sleep anymore. Call me crazy but you're the most important person in my life and I don't want to lose you."

"This is my fault, really. I feel bad for just leaving you hanging like that. Why don't you just hate me for ignoring you?"

"I could never hate you, you know that. And I hate myself how I can't hate you like I'm supposed to." Jennie sighed, finally calming down. "Why are you doing this to me?"

"It wasn't my intention to do this to you, I swear. But let's just say after we graduate, then what? You and your family are going to fly back to New Zealand, right? I'm just preparing myself to live without you." Lisa half lied. She still had no strength to tell Jennie that she had feelings for her.

"They're not even sure yet if they'd bring me along with them and even if they do, I won't. You know how much I love being here, with you."

Lisa sighed. "You're drunk. How did you even get here in that state?"

"It doesn't matter how." Jennie shook her head. "I came here because I miss you and I want us to be okay."

"Why don't you just rest here, we still have class tomorrow." Lisa stood up to get Jennie a glass of water but the latter tugged her shirt to prevent her from going.

"Don't go, please." Jennie began crying again and Lisa took a deep breath. "Come back."

Lisa sat back down and this time, closer to Jennie. She lifted Jennie's head and wiped her tears.

"I'm sorry, Jennie."

"Stop saying that." Jennie slapped Lisa's arm and the latter softly giggled. "Why are you laughing now?" Jennie frowned.

"I missed you." Lisa smiled. Jennie quickly hugged Lisa and the latter was caught off guard.

"Don't you ever ignore me again or else I'll smack you on the head." Jennie said in a muffled voice and Lisa just stroked her hair in return. Jennie lifted her head and looked at Lisa with dopey eyes. "I love you."