Naruto presented his only knuckle headed genin with a goofy visage of boredom.

"Sanzo," he fairly yawned, "Sensei's so sorry the big mean girls knocked you over. Are you alright? Did you skin your knee? Sensei will buy you another dango and a sparkly band-aid, dattebayo,"

Cherry stained the genin's cheeks, a familiar fire flaring to life in his emerald eyes. His mouth opened and Naruto wait for the maelstrom of teenage pique. Sanzo was without a doubt cut from the same cloth as he himself was. He knew from experience, and his own personality, what the kid said next would be outrageous and hilarious.

"Can it Sanzo," Tani cut in, "We didn't come to make trouble for sensei. We came to see if he was alright."

Leave it to Tani to nip the brewing storm in the bud. Honestly, he was a tiny bit disappointed. Sanzo never failed to not only entertain his mentor, but also fill the Hokage hopeful with nostalgia, for more than the obvious reasons.

Sanzo buried his troubles in laughter that was genuine and strategic.

He played class clown often.

And while Naruto enjoyed the show, he never, not once missed that distant look that came after...

That sad and lonely expression he'd grown up seeing in the mirror.

He'd worked hard as the young boy's mentor to gain the little pieces of trust he gave, hoping to one day hear and help him with whatever pain was putting those looks on his face when he believed no one was watching.

"We didn't come here for you to make a big fuss over half eaten dango." Tani declared, turning his attention back to her.

Much like Sakura, Tani often kept the uncouth youth in line, lecturing him about his immaturity and tearing him a new one verbally if he still didn't fall in line. If she ever gained the monstrous strength and short fuse to violence, it'd be like watching his former crush all over again. With this team, their personalities were as heartwarming as it was eerie, almost as though he were looking into the past.

Almost, except...

"Is everything alright, sensei?"

Blue orbs swung to the speaker of that question.

Seinosuke.

Much like Sasuke, he was more than proficient in the skills of a ninja. Cool, calm and quietly analytical. Swoon worthy handsome and sought after by the girls in and out of the Academy.

And yet, in other ways, they were worlds apart.

Seinosuke carried none of the darkness of the Uchiha name. His poised, almost emotionless visage and self contained mannerisms originated from a place other than the weight of a clan once cursed with the poison of hate. His home was far from broken. Far from stained in blood. The Kato clan was one of reserve, however, they were also one of love. A love Seinosuke showed quietly and subtly to his team without hesitation and without reservation.

"I'm fine, Seinosuke," he murmured, "but Hinata's not feeling well, 'ttebayo. I'm staying here to look after her, but she needs medicine and maybe a check up from Sakura-chan."

"Oh no, that's terrible," Tani gasped, "I hope she'll be okay."

Naruto gave what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

"I'm sure she'll be alright, but the medicine from the Hyuuga compound should help speed things up."

He sighed.

"She says it's just a cold, so I'm probably just overreacting."

"You always do when it comes to Hinata-san," Sanzo huffed.