twenty-one

❥      twenty-one

"Nope..no...you're my best friend. I'm- I can't do this..."

Reality began to set in for Ophelia when she watched Sebastian's smirk fall to a frown. She felt more lost than ever in that moment and she couldn't keep her emotions in check. Looking at Chris feeling sorry for her, she felt unable to control her mind on overdrive.

She tried to catch her breath, feeling a sudden rush of tension in her chest she couldn't tame. Ophelia held her chest, nearly clawing for air, her breathing rampant and inconsistent. Chris grabbed her hand and didn't know how to help as he pressed the nurses button.

Sebastian shifted to sit in front of her on the bed, getting her eyes to look at his.
"O, you need to breathe. In 1...2..3...4, out 1..2...3...4, breathe with me doll, in.......out....." he grabbed her hand and put it on his chest as he put his on her chest. She stares into his cerulean orbs for a moment feeling something familiar as her breathe slowly returns to her. "You are safe right here, we are here with you," he gave her a half smile.

After a few moments of calm breathing, she looked at her lap and back up at him.
"Sebastian, have we had a moment like that before?" She tilted her head and grabbed his hand from her chest and held it. He nodded and his cheeks turned a light shade of pink, she ran her uncasted thumb over his hand.

She looked over at Chris, "how did it end?"

She furrowed a brow as she attempted to read Chris like she used to, but as she scanned him over she noticed how different he seemed. He took a deep breath, "while Seb and I filmed winter soldier I made the decision to move on from our relationship..." she put her hand up, unable to listen after she learned he just left her behind.

Ophelia shared her trauma with Chris after a depression spiral in fall of 2012. "Did you leave because of my past?" She nearly whispered as Sebastian's grip on her hand tightened.

Chris shook his head, "no, I left because I needed to figure myself out. After I did...I regretted leaving you behind. Breaking it off with you was-" She cut him off, "I can't believe you left me...y'know I had a feeling you would, I was me and you were a big Marvel super star."

Sebastian let out an involuntary chuckle that she ignored. "So did we stay friends?"

When his face fell and he shook his head, she turned to look at Sebastian. She noticed the way he stared at her and she was intrigued by it, "Chris, could we have a moment?"

Chris stood, "of course, I'm glad you're okay," he kissed her forehead before turning to vanish out the door. Sebastian's eyes glared at him when their eyes met before he left.

The nurse rushed into the room, "is everything okay, Miss. Phoenix?"

She giggled, "yeah, I found out I'm engaged and panicked for a moment." The nurse turned to check her over with a smile, "is this your fiancé?" the blonde woman in pink smiled as she locked eyes with Ophelia.

Ophelia let out a laugh, "seems to be the case, handsome isn't he?" The nurse smiled as she checked her over before disappearing out the door.

He smiled back at her, "Ophelia Rose," he traced small shapes on the back of her hand.

Ophelia and Sebastian were good friends the entire time she and Chris dated. She, of course, always found him handsome, but she loved his best friend and was always appreciative of their friendship. She knows he was always good at making her smile and laugh, he was kind hearted, and genuine. She smiled as she looked at her best friend, trying to imagine how their love felt.