CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

Start from the beginning

Bailey looks at them all, not understanding what's going on. "Karev, go get your patient. Easton is scrubbing in on Noah's surgery. Stevens is free for you, Dr. Montgomery Shepherd. Everyone, go!"

"Okay, what the hell was that?" Maddox laughs as she catches up to Addison.

"I caught him blathering on about OB/GYN, so I'm going to use him as an intern. That way he'll see that medicine is more than just neuro or cardio. All specialties should be treated with respect and equality," Maddox raises her eyebrows, surprised by the woman's outburst. "Don't you agree, Dr. Easton?"

"Oh, yes, of course, Dr. Shepherd," the brunette quickly says, prompting a smile from Addison. "Stop doing that. You're confusing me. I don't know what to call you anymore when you put me in these kinds of positions," Maddox complains in a whisper.

"It's funny," Addison smiles. "Do you want to have lunch later? I'll be out of surgery at 12," Addison looks up when Maddox hesitates and doesn't answer for a few seconds. "What, do you have something to do?"

"No, no. It's just that I usually... eat with my... other friends. They might get a little weirded out if they see me having lunch with you."

"So what, Meredith slept with an attending, Dr. Yang has a relationship with Dr. Burke, and you can't have lunch with me? I flew from New York to Seattle after everyone found out I cheated, do you think I'm a woman who cares about what's said about her?"

"No, of course not."

"That's clear, then. If you don't want to have lunch with me—"

"I'll be there," Maddox interrupts her, putting her hand on the doctor's arm.

"Dr. Torres," Maddox pokes her head into the office. She smiles to greet George, who looks slightly uncomfortable, and realizes that the person who caused the car accident is also in the office, so she treats Callie formally. "I was told you were performing Noah Reynolds' surgery. "Well, I'm your intern. So, whenever you're ready."

Callie nods, "Okay, well, go upstairs and prep the OR. I need to put a splint on."

"On it, Dr. Torres," Callie nods again, attending to the patient, and Maddox takes the opportunity to hold George for a few moments. "Hey, George. You didn't tell me you were back home. And with Dr. Torres," she smiles mischievously, and the boy looks at her to shut her up.

"Shut up. Were you there this morning?" shouts George in a whisper.

"At home? No. I was here last night, why?"

"Izzie and Meredith won't stop making fun of Callie. They say she didn't even wash her hands when she came out of the bathroom, and I'm starting to freak out. What if they're right? What if she didn't wash her hands? She's a surgeon, for God's sake."

"Okay, stop," Maddox grabs him by the shoulders and gives him a couple of shakes. "First of all I have to score a point in my favor because I knew you were going to be reminded of it. Secondly, since when do you believe what they say? She may have washed her hands downstairs. My point, George, is that you can't let this become an issue. If you persist in this matter she'll realize that you believe your friends over her, which I usually strongly encourage, but now this is nonsense. So stop being a child and do your job. I have to go now. I gotta get in there and scrub in, bitches!"

Maddox is so excited to be back in the ORs that she lightly arranges the paperwork, informing Chief Webber that OR two will be used by Dr. Torres and takes it upon herself to call Callie's team. When she is already in the OR, she pages Callie to tell her that everything is ready.

"Okay," Callie murmurs, "George says you don't like ortho, so hold this. Scalpel. We'll open up his leg to heal the bone. It's broken in three different places, so we'll have to heal all three. So, I guess you know I spent the night at your house," Callie murmurs again.