CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

"Okay, so the way I find out MY dog is sick is this weird bathroom meeting where you confess to be sleeping with its vet?" Maddox opens her mouth, her cereal bar dangling from it.

"I'm not sleeping with him! I was knitting, remember?" Meredith protests, opening her arms. "I'm giving myself a chance to date. Sort of. I'm still knitting. The thing is, when I woke up, he was making breakfast. I didn't really sleep with him last night. Or any other night."

"So you're telling me four dates, two sleepovers at his place and no sex? That doesn't sound like you at all, which is why I'm proud. I feel like a proud momma!" The brunette exclaims, smiling, and covers her body when Meredith throws a ball of wet paper at her. "No, seriously, you're making progress. After what happened with George, the last thing you need is more boy trouble. Speaking of George, any change?"

Meredith shakes her head. "Nothing. He won't talk to me, he leaves the room before I even come in. Which is odd given the fact that Dr. Torres stayed over today."

Maddox opens her eyes wide in surprise. "She did, and I missed it? Fuck my life. I had surgery last night, C-section with Add— Dr. Shepherd," the brunette clears her throat, trying to dodge the fact that she's calling her by her first name, and Meredith just stares at her for a few moments without saying anything, "so I slept in the on-call room. Does that mean George is moving back in with us? How good was this new roommate?"

Meredith rolls her eyes but smiles, "Okay, we didn't know she was in the house until we found out. Izzie and I were in the bathroom chatting, and suddenly she walks in, naked except for her panties, and proceeds to pee. She didn't even wash her hands after she peed."

The brunette stifles a laugh, covering her mouth with her hands. "What the hell, she must have! Knowing you and Izzie you'll be bugging George all day. Oh, I remember, he's not talking to you," Meredith opens her mouth, offended, and punches Maddox in the arm. "I'm kidding, I love you. But you seem to be getting better. Maybe he's coming around. Now let's get out of here before Bailey finds us."

Meredith quickly agrees with her, and they head to the surgical floor to await Bailey's orders. Maddox's cell phone rings in her pocket once, and she sighs in relief when she sees it's not a call, but a message.

Good job last night!

The girl immediately smiles when she sees Addison's message, but hides it so Meredith doesn't see her. Thanks! I'll see the mom later. I have rounds with Bailey :)

Bailey summons them to the x-ray room. George, Izzie and Alex are already there, and as Meredith and Izzie share a knowing glance, knowing that Meredith has already updated Maddox on the events of that morning, Maddox takes her time greeting Alex. "How are we feeling about the upcoming Seahawks game?"

Alex looks at her and smiles her way. "It's been years since I've watched one of those loser's games. Why, are you in?"

"You're asking me if I'm in for rounds of nachos and beer and people screaming their heads off in a bar? Of course I'm in. Then we'll talk a little, okay?" Maddox rubs his arm and he just nods, averting her eyes.

"Karev, take the husband to the OR for surgery," Bailey orders.

Alex nods, but before he can leave the room, Addison walks in the other door. "Dr. Karev, there you are. You're supposed to be in OB/GYN, making the rounds on my patients."

Maddox raises an eyebrow, watching the exchange. "Oh, yes, I've been paged. 911. Pregnant mom, car accident. Very serious," Alex says with derision.

"Pity. I have three surgeries on the board. I was going to ask you to scrub in, but I think you should stay by that pregnant lady's side all day. Do you see to it, Dr. Bailey?" Addison strikes back, and Maddox smiles slyly at Alex's downcast face. "Is Easton free? I want her to scrub in if Karev can't."