Never Look Back

The light to her father's room flickering on gave Selina all the courage she needed to run down the road. She could hear her father calling her name. She could hear him slamming the door shut as he ran behind her. She could hear his footsteps pounding on the ground. They were loud and heavy. They were filled with urgency and in close proximity.  She had to keep running. She wasn't going to turn around. She wasn't going to let her father sell her life for something she didn't want. She wasn't going to let him win.

He may be her father, but she isn't going to let him do something to her that she disproves of. He couldn't understand what she is going through even if he tried. Not that he did try. He was always thinking about himself. What if Prince Andrew was the same way as her father? What if all men were the same way? What if all men were selfish?

Selina didn't hear her father anymore. In fact, she wasn't on the farm anymore. She was close to town. Selina decided to spend the rest of the night in a tree. When she had reached the top of the tree, she looked in the direction of her home. At least, what used to be home. They say home is where the heart is. What about the people you're with? What if the people in your home don't except your heart? What if they don't except you?

*********************

It wasn't long until morning arrived. Selina climbed down from the tree. She hoped her male clothing would be enough to hide her. She didn't have to wonder long. When she had walked closer to town, she saw her father talking to a blacksmith. Both men didn't look happy. Selina's father looked stressed. He looked like he was out looking for her all night.

"She was going to marry the Prince?" she heard the blacksmith ask, "Did he meet her?"

"He did. I'm not sure he liked her very much. He was all smiles and manners, but she wasn't much of a lady. She ignored him after getting into a fight with me. He said he'd be back today. He seemed to be interested in her."

"I thought you said he wasn't a fan?" The blacksmith started to put the horseshoe he was working on in the water to cool. Selina flinched at the sizzle. She had to be careful, she had gotten too close to the two men. She has to keep her movements calm and normal. What man flinches as a sizzle?

"I did. Only, why would a guy come back to a girl he doesn't like? Unless the King is pressuring him into marrying," her father's face tensed. He paid to have her married off? That shouldn't surprise her, and yet, it did.

"Well, if it's one thing I know, it's that any lass in this town would love a chance with the Prince. He's wasting his time with your girl. She's gone. When the gals leave, they don't come back unless they want to."

Selina was hurt. She knew her father was hateful but she didn't think he was heartless. She didn't know her father as well as she thought she did and that scared her. If he found her, what would he do? Would Andrew protect her? Or would he be powerless? Would he even care if her father was going to harm her for running away? These were all questions that made her begin to fear more than just her father and life married to the prince. She began fearing the prince as well.