8

Harry woke up five days later feeling happy and content. He stretched his body and opened his eyes just to find Louis watching him worriedly.
"I'm so sorry Harry."

Talk about being a mood killer.
"You don't have to apologize Lou. We're both adults and I'm happy you were my first."

Louis' jaw dropped.
"That was your first time?"

Harry wrinkled his eyebrows.
"Of course. It wasn't yours?"

"Uhm, I lost my virginity back in high school, senior year. With a girl obviously." Louis replied.

"Oh. You never told me that." Harry said, feeling his heart sink in his chest.

Louis shrugged his shoulders.
"Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"No. I'm fine Lou. Please don't make this awkward." Harry pleaded.

"I promise this won't change our friendship." Louis said and tried to smile.

Friendship? So nothing had changed? Crap. Harry plastered on a fake smile.
"Alright then."

"Do you want to shower first?" Louis asked.

"Uhm, sure." Harry agreed, trying really hard not to burst into tears.

"Okay. I just have to take a wee. Okay?" Louis asked and got out of bed. He looked around to find something to cover himself with which was ridiculous since they've been naked for five days, covered in dry cum.

Harry just stared at the ceiling and blinked away his tears. How could Louis not see that they were perfect for each other? How could Louis not feel it? If sex didn't change that nothing would.

Louis returned so he got out of bed with the cover wrapped around him and headed to the bathroom. He broke down crying as soon as the sound of water masked his desperate sobs. When he had managed to pull himself together he put on a blank face and walked to his bedroom to put some clothes on. He stayed in there until Louis knocked on the door and told him that he had ordered pizza.

Louis acted as nothing had happened and Harry had years of training concealing his true feelings so he acted along but something inside him broke that day.

He returned to school the next day. Niall asked him if he was okay and he just smiled and assured him that he was. The biggest lie he could ever have mustered.

A couple of weeks later the school year was over and they returned to Doncaster. Louis had promised that nothing would change but they didn't share a bed anymore. Louis made excuses and Harry stopped asking. He felt numb.

Louis was working at the same hamburger joint as he did before College during summer and Harry hardly saw him. He spent the summer getting drunk instead. It was a nice escape. He made out with a couple of Alphas but he never took it further. He didn't smell like Louis anymore and suddenly he was quite popular.

He spent his heat alone locked up in his room, knowing that Louis was having his rut next door. It was the worst one so far. He never seemed to get satisfied. His inner Omega was craving something else, someone else.

They returned to their apartment. Louis had bought a car over the summer. His skin was sunkissed and he looked better than he ever had, leaving Harry with a dull ache in his chest. Louis smiled brightly when he came over to get him.
"Harry! I haven't seen you all summer. I've missed you like crazy."

"I've been right here." Harry muttered.

Louis looked guilty.
"Yeah, I'm sorry. I've been working nonstop."

"It's fine. Let's go." Harry replied.

Louis tried to talk to him on the car ride back to London and he answered politely. Louis sighed after a while.
"I hate this. I want my friend back. Please, Harry. Can't we just move past this and go back to how it used to be?"

"I'm not the one who made it awkward." Harry pointed out. He was hurt.

"Yeah, I know. I'm really sorry. Okay?" Louis said.

Harry glanced at him. Louis looked like he was about to cry. He didn't want that.
"We can try."

"I'm gonna make it up to you." Louis said. He sounded happy.

School started again and Harry focused on his studies. Niall was worried about him but he just brushed it off. At home, Louis really made an effort but it wasn't the same anymore. He had built a wall between them. He was still there. He still hugged him and pampered him but Harry couldn't let himself feel anymore.

The semester went by quickly. November arrived and so did their heat and rut. Harry made sure to lock himself in his room and spent his heat in an emotional state where nothing worked. When he walked out of his room five days later Louis looked messier than ever. His eyes were burning and he was frustrated and irritated. They ate pizza together before Harry made an early night.

They went home for Christmas. Harry had bought Louis a birthday present and a Christmas present like he always did. His mum welcomed him with open arms.
"How are you? Really? You've seemed so sad lately."

"I'm okay mum. Don't worry about me." Harry smiled but it didn't reach his eyes.

Their family had obviously noticed that they had spent the summer apart. His mum had asked him about it but he just mumbled something. He didn't want to talk about it and she respected that.

He went to bed early on Louis' birthday. He had been over for cake like always but it wasn't the same. A soft knock at his bedroom door made him look up.
"Yeah?"

Louis opened the door and poked his head inside.
"Are you asleep?"

"No." Harry said and sat up.

Louis seemed to hesitate but walked inside.
"Is it okay if I stay over? It's one of our traditions."

"Sure." Harry said.

Louis sat down on the bed.
"Why are you so distant all the time?"

"I'm not." Harry sighed.

Tears welled over and Louis started to cry.
"Yes, you are. Is it because we had sex? I'm so sorry Harry. I wish I could go back and change that."

Ouch! Twist the knife. Harry sighed but pulled him in for a hug to comfort him. He couldn't bear to see Louis cry. They laid down and Louis got his t-shirt wet but Harry didn't care. When Louis finally calmed down he reached for his present on the nightstand.
"Happy birthday Boobear." He said softly.

Louis let out something between a snort and a giggle. He dried his cheeks and sat up.
"Thanks."

He opened the gift to find a locket inside. He opened it and there was a picture of him and Harry inside. His eyes teared up again.
"I love it."

"You will always be the most important person in my life, Lou. Even when I'm moody and distant." Harry said softly.

Louis smiled and they laid down to get some sleep. Louis wrapped his arms around him like he always used to do and Harry let him, cherishing this moment.