13: the insult squad

Y/n's pov

The next day, we played baseball like usual, playing our hearts out as we did, when we heard bike chains rattling behind us.

I turned to see a bunch of guys on bikes with expensive looking baseball uniforms.

"Oh, no!!" Squints groaned as everyone else looked over.

Every single one of the guys threw their gloves down angrily and stormed up to the bike guys, as Scotty and I followed in slight confusion.

"It's easy when you play with a bunch of rejects and a fat kid, Rodriguez." The kid in the middle said.

Wow, right off the bat, starting a war. No 'hello'?

"Shut your mouth, philips!" Benny yelled.

"What did you say, crap face?!" Ham yelled.

He seemed to be the most angry out of the gang and that was really saying something.

"I said you shouldn't be allowed to touch a baseball!" Philips snarked. "Except Rodriguez, you're all an insult to the game!"

"Come on! We'll take you on, right here, right now!" Ham challenged.

"We play on a real diamond, Porter." Philips said. "You ain't good enough to lick the dirt off our cleats!"

"Shut up, Jerk!" Ham yelled.

"Watch it, idiot!" Philips yelled back.

And then they began exchanging insults.

"Moron!!"

"Scab-eater!"

"Butt-sniffer!!"

"Puss-licker!"

"Fart-smeller!!"

Everyone was laughing at him at this point, even some of his own gang.

"You eat dog crap for breakfast, geek!" Philips retorted.

Wow, this guy was really bad at insulting people.

"You mix your wheatie's with your mama's toe jam!!" Ham replied.

"YEAH!" We all yelled in unison.

"You Bob for apples in the toilet... and you like it!" Philips said.

"You play ball like a GIRL!!!!" Ham yelled, making everyone go silent.

Then, I got offended.

"Hey!" I raised my arms up in the air in offence.

"Oh, uh, I mean- uhh-" Ham stuttered.

"You crossed the line, man." I pointed at him menacingly, my lips pursed.

"I take it back." Ham's eyes widened, his arms shooting up in surrender.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here." Philips smirked. "How desperate are you, Rodriguez? Letting a girl play baseball with you? A very hot girl..."

Oh, I had had enough of this kid.

I marched right up to his face, throwing my glove on the ground.

"You listen here, Philips." I pointed in his face with my finger. "Tomorrow. Noon. Your field. Let's see who really plays ball like a girl."

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes, trying to play off how scared he looked.

"Keep rolling your eyes, maybe you'll find a brain back there!!!" I yelled at him, cupping my hands around my mouth as his gang biked away.

I whipped around to face the group.

"What the hell was that?!" I asked in bewilderment.

They all just stood there staring at me.

"What?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed.

"You were amazing!!" Benny smiled excitedly.

"Yeah yeah, you were!" Yeah yeah agreed, shooting a glare at Benny.

I shrugged with a crooked smile.

"Come on, let's go practice before we gotta beat those jerks." I said, picking up my glove and slinging an arm around Ham and Smalls' shoulders and walking back to the field,
the rest of the guys still staring after me in shock.