It Was Always You

A/N: This is an AU, not canon

The knife was still quivering in the wall, inches from the side of his head. He could still hear as it whistled across the room, that bright silver flashing in his vision.

"You," Crowley whispered. "It...it was you?"

"Who else could it have been?" Those deep-set eyes watched him, cold and uncaring, so different from moments before. "Did you really expect anyone else?"

"It was always you." He stepped back, the wall bumping into his back. The door was closed, and even if he shouted out for help, no one would make it in time. "Wasn't it?"

"What now?" Halt's face was a mask of stone. "Are you going to sit there and snivel like the spineless coward you are, or are you going to fight?"

"I trusted you!" He clenched his hands together. "I even gave you that damned oakleaf because I thought you were with us. What changed?"

"You already said it. Nothing's changed. I simply got tired of waiting." Halt reached for the second dagger, twirling it in his hand. "I can be patient, but sometimes it isn't worth it to keep waiting."

You. There was no way he was the traitor. It simply couldn't be. And yet there he stood now, not even bothering to deny the inevitable truth.

"How much have you told Morgarath?"

"Enough. Obviously, not enough to beat you at Hackham." Halt scowled. "He could have had it if it weren't for those dammed horses."

"Why?" Crowley reached for his own knife, his hands shaking. "Why did you do it?"

"I hadn't planned to, if I'm being honest." Halt smiled.  "I had plans for something far different when I met you. Morgarath...he intrigued me. He gave me an offer I couldn't refuse."

"And do you really think he'll keep it?" Crowley scoffed. Everything around him was surreal, a dream. It had to be a dream. Because if it was, then that meant he could wake up.

But he didn't wake up.

"He will," Halt said. "Or I'll kill him. I didn't go through all this just to lose my prize forever."

"And what prize is that?" Crowley stepped forward, narrowing his eyes. Whoever this man was, it wasn't Halt. It wasn't the one who had fought alongside him all this time, helped him when he couldn't go on.

Halt glared at him, and for just a fleeting moment, there was a glimmer of pain and anguish. And then that, too, was gone.

"I want my throne back," he said.