The Courier

IT WAS A DREARY day. The sky was cloudy, and a faint drizzle fell from the sky. Cassandra sighed loudly and cupped her face in her hands as she stared out the window.

A faint movement caught her eye, and she looked out to see two shaggy horses approaching the castle, their owners atop and cloaked.

A hand flew to her mouth and she raced for the door. Despite her earlier vows to treat Will as he had treated her, her heart had swelled at the sight of her old friend. Maybe, she thought, maybe things have changed. Maybe things can change.

She tried to compose herself as she walked down the halls. Will was just her friend. Of course she was glad to see her friend, the one she had fought beside, countless times.

Her shoulder connected with something, and she turned to see a girl standing there, caught off-guard at the bump. "Oh, I'm sorry!" Cassandra said in a rushed voice.

The girl smiled and shook her head, her gray eyes twinkling. "The fault is mine, your Highness," she said. The girl disappeared down the hall, and for the first time, she noticed the long white dress of a Courier.

"What would a Courier be doing here at this time?" she wondered aloud. Dismissing the thought, she continued on down the hall.

"Is Will here?" Cassandra turned as Horace approached her, an excited look on his face. She nodded. "Well, come on! Don't you want to see him again?" he added, somewhat slyly.

Somehow, Cassandra managed to keep a straight face. "Amusing, Horace." She whacked his arm. "Let's go!"

They both hurried down the stairs, through the halls, out the door. Will and Halt were just dismounting, and his name began to escape from her lips.

"Will!"

Before she could get the words out, someone else shouted his name, the voice somehow familiar. She looked in Will's direction as he turned, and his face lit up with surprise and happiness.

"Alyss!" He hurried over to a blonde-haired girl, those gray eyes still twinkling. Cassandra watched, her bubble deflated and feeling as though she'd been punched in the gut.

"Cassandra, Horace." She tore her gaze away from the two and towards the grizzled Ranger. Halt nodded a greeting to them.

Horace grinned. "Hullo, Halt. It's been a while since you've come."

The Ranger shrugged. "We've had other things to do. I think Will is looking forward to spending time with you."

"Well, what a coincidence that Alyss is here at the same time," Horace remarked, turning to eye the two as they began making their way over.

Cassandra studied the girl as she and Will walked over. There was really no other way to describe her except for beautiful. She walked with grace and held her head high, and she was also quite tall.

Will grinned as he saw her. "Evanlyn!" he exclaimed, coming over to hug her. As his arms wrapped around her, a flicker of displeasure flashed in those gray eyes, and Cassandra felt a glow of satisfaction.

She forced a smile on her face as they parted. "Will! It's so nice to see you."

He nodded. "You, too. How are you?" She shrugged in reply, and he turned, beckoning the Courier. "Here, I want you to meet someone. This is Alyss, an old friend of mine."

The Courier bowed, perhaps a bit less friendly than their last encounter. "It's a pleasure to meet you, your Highness," she said, her voice low and smooth.

She nodded. "And you, Lady Alyss." An awkward silence filled the air as the two girls eyed each other with apparent animosity.

Cassandra gritted her teeth. Of course Will had found someone else. Why wouldn't he have? He seemed intent on tearing her apart, and this was the icing on top.

"I have to go," she said abruptly, forcing a tiny smile on her face. "I promised my father that I'd work on something, and I need to finish it."

"Do you need help?" Horace asked, oblivious to the bite in her tone.

"No," she replied, and walked away.