Chapter 5

Chapter 5

That night was possibly the worst of my life. Being locked up, with bars on the balcony and windows, and locks on the doors— really obscured the room.

It had been chilling to spend the night in there, alone. Dylan was really mad. I had first assumed that he would eventually come back.

When midnight came around, I started getting worried. I could hear him downstairs. He was in his study. He was quiet for the most part. Whenever he growled at something, I pictured him throwing a small tantrum on his own, like a little kid.

The image made me smile. I hated it though. I was angry at him. I had to keep reminding myself that I was angry at him. But it was so hard.

I felt so lonely. When the loneliness crept into me more, the sadness of it all followed close behind.

All of my dark thoughts, Dylan not going into the room, and being locked up— got to me.

I was more than surprised when there was a knock on my door early the next morning.

“It’s me,” Eric said, his voice sounding strained.

“Come in, I guess.”

It wasn’t like I could open the door. If Dylan had sent him, Eric probably had the keys for the locks.

“I brought you breakfast,” Eric told me once he entered the room.

“Homemade,” I commented sarcastically.

“The Alpha’s mom made it for you.”

He walked closer to me and placed the plate of food on the bed. I was still wearing the same clothes from the previous day, and I suddenly just wanted to get out of them.

“I’m going to shower,” I told him, dismissing him completely.

I hardly looked at him when I passed by to walk to the closet.

“So that’s it?” he asked, stopping me mid-step.

Eric held onto my wrist tightly. He was looking at me the same way he had the day before.

“What is it?” I asked, even though I knew what he was talking about.

“I can see why you ignored the Alpha. I understand it, I do. But you could’ve told me. I would’ve gone with you,” he said— the reproachful tone in his voice sounding loud and clear.

“I didn’t have control over it,” I said, defensively.

I knew I had hurt Eric. He was mad at me and he had a right to be. But I didn’t know how to fix it. The only thing in my mind the day I ran away had been Jake and finding a way to hurt him.

“What about when you did? You had control of your Wolf when you woke up in Blake’s territory.”

“If I had told you to come with me, Dylan would’ve followed you. I know him. He would’ve found a way. He’s still your Alpha, Eric. If Dylan had ordered you to tell him where I was, your Wolf would have made you obey him.”

Eric swallowed audibly, and he nodded at me in what seemed like agreement.

“Maybe you’re right in that, but you still should’ve told me. I was worried. I thought you had gone to find Alpha Jake,” he said.

He loosened the grip on my wrist, which made it easier to slide my hand into his. I gave him a sad smile, and tightened my hold on his hand.

“I know I don’t stand a chance against Jake. I don’t think Jake would've hurt me. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have made him angry. It would’ve been more embarrassing to have Jake return me to Dylan if I had really gone after him.”