As that was said, I tried to remain calm with any inch of control I had left in me. I despised to turn into an emotional mess and ruin both of our days. I despised to be  that way in front of someone who only knew my "joking" and "gentle" side.

He and I were very aware of how the last exam in that language class we took was a disaster for my GPA.

He patted my back, laughing brightly. The sound of it made my heart flutter—and somewhat it was a relief? I didn't even know what I was thinking at that time.

The sensation inside of my chest was nice, I liked it. I never made a big deal out of the way he could easily comfort me or make me smile.

And yet, I'd never be able to bring out a word near his presence about the way I held adoration for him.

People could guess that it never led somewhere at that age. It was to be expected of two mentally ill teenagers who didn't know what they were doing. Proper communication about our romantic feelings was the last thing we focused on.

As we held the envelopes tight, we promised to open them together.

We waited for so long, and my heart was raging worse than when I received my graduation exam. The graduation party would come soon enough, but now it was being accepted or not. And how fate wanted him and me to open the letters we'd gotten from our dream colleges together.

"Okay.." he said, turning to me, "On 3." he smiled.

"..1.." I started.

"..2.." he continued.

"..3.." Both of us said opening the letter at once.

The sounds of paper being unfolded echoed quietly in the room. This piece was withholding my future for a good part. My heart skipped a beat, and my mind grew dizzy and wild of imagination at the thought of failure.

As soon as I opened the envelope. I was greeted with the white formal papers. I read carefully through the letter. I was trying not to read between the words and their lines and concentrated on the whole text.

"Dear Y/n L/n.. we're happy to announce.. that you've been accepted to Sumeru Academy!" I read out loud—in shock—as my heart was still raging. I felt like not regaining my balance at all.

All I knew was that my body was shaking with adrenaline. I almost couldn't hold the letter, I nearly dropped it when I found out I was accepted to my dream college. All the hard work had paid off.

The effort was worth it.

My eyes flickered away from the letter and right away on my friend.

The silence and the missing joy from his side were unsettling.

I was having an unpleasant feeling about the situation. "You've been so quiet.. how's yours?" I asked him.

He didn't look at me. I let my eyes  wander over to him after reading my result. He averted any contact like I did earlier.

I recognized that look. His eyes weren't filled with joy—there was no sparkle, it was despair.