CHAPTER 1. A Messy Existence

Start from the beginning

"I'm good, I'm going to walk," I repeated and walked towards the front door.

"Cross, tell Raven she has to let me drive her!" Fin called, and the dark haired vampire called Cross watched me stomp through the living room.

"Raven, let Fin drive you," Cross said in a monotone voice. I scoffed.

"No, I'm good," I opened the front door and then slammed it behind me, huffing. Really, really didn't want to go to school today...

"Woke up on the wrong side of bed?" I paused and glanced over at Lion, who was coming back from his morning walk. Or at least, he said he was walking.

I more imagined him going off into the forest and killing small cute animals. "Fuck off," I said in a fake pleasant voice, walking past him.

Lion narrowed his eyes. "You're not supposed to swear,"

I threw my hands in the air and made my way past him, ever in a bad mood. It was cold outside, the wind icy as I made the long treck to my horrible school.

When I finally arrived I ducked my head and walked across the parking lot and through the front door, hurrying to my locker.

"What's the big rush Raven?" I froze and turned, Emma Phillips leaning on the wall, blowing gum into a bubble as she watched me.

"Well, it's called school," I said sarcastically and walked past her. Emma sneered and followed after me, slamming my locker closed as I opened it.

Emma wasn't your typical pretty girl, mostly because she wasn't pretty at all. She was mean and had a mustache, but still managed to bully me.

I had tried to get help, but no one believes me. I mean, why would they? I'm a traumatized liar who lives with foster parents no one has met.

"Don't sass me, Raven, I thought we were friends!" Emma said and laughed like she was funny. I glanced at her thick bushy eyebrows forming into one and sighed. "I'm going to be late for class, move,"

Emma gave me a yellow smile. My shoulders sagged. Today was going to be one of those days.

***

"Is there a reason you're ten minutes late?" The math teacher who always had it out for me demanded, nostrils flaring.

I stared at the woman in the pencil skirt and bit the inside of my mouth. "I told you, I couldn't get my locker open,"

She took off her glasses and gave me the usual disappointed sigh. "Go sit down, we'll talk about this after class."

I made a sound in my throat and made my way into the back, sitting down at my desk. I placed my head on my hand and looked out the window.

"Raven, could you answer this?" The teacher suddenly asked, and I looked at the large problem with wide eyes.

"Uh, no, I can't," I said honesty. The class snickered at me and the teacher sighed again.

"It's thirty seven," a boy called and sent me a smile. "Pretty simple if you ask me,"

I shot him the stink eye. "Yeah, no one asked," I told him making the teacher slam a ruler on her desk.

"Raven! Don't take your jealousy out on your fellow students, now, pay attention!"

I clicked my tongue and glared at the clock as time went by slowly. "Alright, class is dismissed, except for you Raven, per usual." The evil teacher said and the class laughed again.

My nose wrinkled. What a bunch of cliches,

The teacher walked over to me and raised a thin eyebrow. "You're a nice girl Raven," she gave me a fake smile. "If you stopped lying and being late, maybe you could make some friends."

My face twisted as her hand landed on my shoulder. "Raven, do you have something you want to say to me?"

I looked directly in front of me as the teacher stared at my face. "Yes, but I'm quite certain I'd get expelled if I said all of it." I drawled.

"I meant an apology Raven!" The teacher exploded. "Now get up!"

I groaned and stood. "Look Mrs. Smith-"

A sharp pain on my cheek made me stumble and trip on the legs of my desk. I stared at the teacher, chest heaving. This wasn't the first time she had hit me, but it was the first time she hit my face.

"Go," the teacher told me, hand trembling. I sent her a look of hatred and stormed out. Didn't want to come to school today. I thought again and walked quickly down the hall.

During the rest of my classes I was bullied and ridiculed. During lunch, someone tossed their soup on me. And this all happened, every fucking day.

I had never told the vampires, I would never, I didn't want to admit I needed help.

As school ended I pulled my coat on angrily and walked out of the building, shaking with rage. A car honked, but I ignored it.

"Raven," River's car pulled up beside me as I walked through the parking lot. "I know you can hear me,"

"Leave me alone, what part of I want to walk, is so hard for you people to understand?!" I snapped, alarmingly close to crying.

River looked at me, seeming startled with the emotion in my voice. Deciding I didn't want to be cold, I slowly got into his car and buckled, biting my lip. "I know school has been hard-" he paused and looked at me with wide eyes. "Did someone hit you?!"

I looked out the window. "No, I have a hand print on my face from smacking into a wall."

"Raven, enough of your attitude," I flinched at the darkness in his voice. "Who hit you?"

I pressed my lips together, staring at the moving scenery outside. "Leave it go, I got into a fight with some girl, she made it up on top."

River said nothing for a long moment, and I exhaled in relief, assuming his was going to let it go. "I think I need to call the principal -"

I looked at River panicked. "The fuck! No!" I shouted without thinking.

River growled. "Stop swearing, and clearly I need to talk to someone if you're starting fights."

I glared at him. "Who says I'm the one who started the fight?" I asked angrily.

River ignored me, watching the road. I crossed my arms and suddenly unbuckled, opening my door as he started pulling into the drive way.

River swore and slammed on the breaks as I made my way across the lawn, trembling with anger.

"Raven!" River admonished loudly as I ran to the front door and stumbled out of my boots.

"What did you do now?" Cross asked, watching me. I flipped him off and stomped up the stairs as River walked into the house.

I hate them, every single one of them.