[19] Heart of Darkness

Start from the beginning

"No, dude- you guys are not going back with them." Stiles shakes his head as he looks between them.

"We made a deal with Deucalion-" Scott reminds them, turning to look at Isabel who now faces him. She gives a nod of agreement.

"Does anyone else think that sounds a lot like a deal with the devil?" Stiles asks in disbelief.

"Why does it matter, anyway?" Isaac questions, leaning forward from where he sat with Allison.

"Because I still don't think that we can beat Jennifer without their help." Scott sighs.

Allison looks over to Deaton in desperation. "They trust you more than anyone- tell them they're wrong."

"I'm not so sure they are..." Deaton shrugs, Allison's face falls at his response. "Circumstances like this sometimes require that you align with people you'd normally consider enemies." He explains.

"So, we're gonna trust him- the guy that calls himself "Death, Destroyer of Worlds"-we're gonna trust that guy?" Isaac huffs.

"I wouldn't trust him, no. But, you could use him to your advantage. Deucalion may be the enemy, but he could also be the bait." Deaton advises.

The group freeze as they hear the door to the front of the Animal Clinic open and shut, the sound of footsteps entering the Clinic start and then stop.

Deaton heads to the door connecting to the reception area, quickly followed by the rest of the group.

Isabel remains on the table and when Scott moves to go past her, he pauses. Sensing it was Ethan, he stops and looks over at the witch.

"I'm looking for Lydia."

"What do you want?"

"I need to tell you something." He quietly tells the witch. She frowns as she looks up at him, but motions for him to continue with a small nod. "It's about your mom."

Her frown drops at his words, carefully looking over his face. It held guilt. When she doesn't respond, he sighs softly - hating that he left it this long. He knew he couldn't keep it from her, not if they were going back to him.

"What you think happened-" He starts, lowering his voice so the others don't hear. "Morell confirmed it. It was Deucalion." He finishes.

Scott slowly looks over her face, watching and waiting for any sort of reaction. But, it remains blank. Her face doesn't seem to hold any emotion at all and for Scott, that was worse than her being angry.

"I'm so sorry, I should've told you sooner-"

"It's fine." She cuts him off.

He opens his mouth before shutting it, deciding not to say anything else. Isabel slides off of the cold steel table, just as Lydia approaches.

Lydia takes her in for a hug, explaining she was going with Ethan to help stop Aiden and Kali. Isabel nods, the two cousins sharing a 'be safe' before Lydia leaves in tow with Ethan.

Wordlessly, Isabel follows the group out of the clinic - Deaton holding his hand out and stopping her before she does. He watches to make sure the others are at a distance before looking down at her.

"Isabel-" He attempts but she shakes her head.

"I'm fine. I already told you nothing happened." Isabel sighs, not meeting Deaton's eyes.

"Okay then, but just remember what I said. I'm always here to help you, okay?" Deaton softly tells the young witch, pulling his hand away to let her go.