Chapter 22 - Taking The Easy Way Out

Start from the beginning

I stopped to think of an answer to his question. But why is he asking me such question? Does he likes me? A big no. Definitely.

"I don't... know" I said. That sounded like I'm asking.

"What?"

"I mean, I'm not really sure. Maybe I'll say... thanks? Or what? I don't know!" I just giggled awkwardly at the thought of that happening to me. "Why did you ask by the way?"

"Ah, nothing." He shrugged.

Silence filled us again. But then he spoke again.

"Ana."

"What?"

"I like you." He said effortlessly. I shot him a what-do-you-think-are-you-saying look. I forced a laugh at this point of our conversation.

"Stop joking around, Shane. It's not funny." I looked at him, my eyes trying to tell him to take back what he had just said.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" He locked his stare into me, like he's staring deep into my soul.

"To be honest, I think you are."

"Well, I'm serious."

My heart started pounding. This is not right. I feel like I'm in a black hole trying to escape.

"Shane, I'll tell you this early: Stop it. Please." I was starting to feel the uneasiness and the urge to leave him right there. I stood up and hesitantly took a few steps away.

"Ana..."

He kept calling my name but I ignored it. He's acting like Shane from the alter universe. If this Shane showed up to me few years ago, I would have willingly talked to him more. But no. He's Shane, my best friend, who treated me like a sister. He's the best friend I have that I once fell for. And I can't afford falling for him again because everything that falls gets broken and I'm afraid. I'm afraid that he won't catch me. Again.

"Ana, can we please talk for a while?" He grabbed my wrist and he made me face him.

We awkwardly stared into each other's eyes before I got the composure to speak. "Why? Why me? I thought you... How did you... realize?" I'm so confused. Too many questions started popping out.

He slowly shook his head for a moment. "It's not even important, i-is it?"

"Yes, it is."

"Honestly, I have no idea. Oh, how do I say this? Uhm... I don't know what happened to me that I got used to a life seeing you everyday and I was like, maybe I'm into you."

I shook my head, my eyes shut close. "Maybe." I emphasized. "You are not sure, Shane. Just stop it. My God, this is nonsense."

"Ana..."

"Please." I begged one more time.

"I was not expecting for an answer or rejection, Ana. I'm confessing my feelings for you."

"This is a wrong decision, Shane. You should have killed the feeling or you didn't tell me immediately. You're like trying to ruin the friendship we have."

"Juliana." There was an unexplainable event that happened in my heart when he uttered my name, not my nickname. I released a sharp breathe when I felt some lump in my throat. But it didn't interrupt me.

"I don't know how to handle this right now. So please, if ever you are having that weird feeling towards me, promise me you'll keep a little distance away from me and rethink about everything. Maybe you are just confused."

He blinked several times, as if trying to convince himself that this was a dream, and finally he gulped. "Okay. I promise."

I really wanted to end this right now in a nice way but I guess telling him to keep some distance (shutting him out in other words) is like the easiest way to escape. I don't want the both of us to suffer the pain of the consequence it would bring in the future. Besides, how high is the possibility that his 'I like you' will turn into 'I love you'?

He cleared his throat. "One more thing. Could we pretend that this... uh... this didn't occur? I don't want you to be awkward towards me."

I can't assure him that after this, I'll act as if nothing happened. But still, I'll try. I nodded as a response. "Sure. I don't want you to be awkward towards me either."

"Thanks." He smiled a genuine smile. The contagious one. Because of that, I smiled too.

"So, we're good?"

"I think we are. But we'll be better if you keep your promise."

"I will."

I can't believe my life will get more complicated in just a day.