9

Ava

"You drive like you look like you drive." Ava grumbled as she pushed herself away from Bucky, stumbling slightly as she steadied her footing - nausea rolling through her, and unclipped the helmet he had forced her to wear. 

She watched the smirk form on his lips as he climbed off of the sleek, black, Harley-Davidson Street 750 only for him to shake his head and furrow his brow as his usual frown replaced the smile when he looked to her. 

She imagined it was deliberate, then; the speeding and taking turns at the last minute. Each twist in the drive pushed her to wrap herself around him more tightly and each time she did he had grunted at her as if it were her fault and not his. Maybe he had wanted her to slip from the seat and fall to her death. He certainly drove like he wanted her to fall off. Maybe he was enjoying the fact that with each new speed limit he broke, her heart jackhammered and her stomach twisted. Maybe he had enjoyed knowing he was making her wish she had fallen off of the goddamn bike. 

She hated bikes.

He scowled as he leant against the death machine. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means," she pushed the helmet into his chest and grinned when he grunted, "you drive like a fucking lunatic who has no concern for his life or the life of anyone else."

"Did you die?" Bucky grimaced as he moved around her, towards the stairs that lead up to the apartment building looming over them.

"Would you care if I did?"

He stopped at the door, his hand frozen with his keys in mid-air, and Ava couldn't help but grin as she watched the muscles in his neck tense slightly before he took a deep breath.

"Aww, Buckaroo. Would you care if I died?" She moved up the stairs quickly, positioning herself close behind him as she teased, ignoring the sound of Peter's breathless laughter as he swung down beside them - finally catching up after he'd made his own way to Bucky's home. "Attached to me already, huh? That's sweet. And here I was thinking the tin-man didn't have a heart!"

"Do you ever shut up?" Bucky turned slowly, his eyes simmering with barely contained anger and Ava beamed at him. Pissing him off was so easy and so entertaining.

"Would you miss my voice if I did?"

"Get in the building, Hall."

"Yes, sir." She giggled when he groaned and Peter pushed ahead of them both.

"What did I miss?" Peter questioned, his eyes bouncing between the two as they made their way into the stairwell and began to climb. "Anything fun?"

"Just Buckaroo admitting he'd be sad if I died." Ava climbed up the stairs with a swing in her step and reached her hand out, grinning when Peter placed his in her outstretched palm and took the steps two at a time, dragging her along with him.

"I never said that," Bucky barked from behind them and Peter raised an eyebrow at her.

"He never said he wouldn't be, either." Ava shrugged.

*

Bucky

One.

Bucky took a deep breath in.

Two.

Bucky pushed a long breath out.

Three.

Bucky shook his head as he watched the kid pull her out of the stairwell and over to his front door.

Four.