Prologue

Bucky

"Steve?" Bucky stumbled forwards as the feeling within his body began to lessen. It was like floating and crumbling at once. His limbs shook and his mind became fuzzy and when his best friend, his brother, looked to him he knew it was what they had feared. 

They had lost. 

Bucky dropped his weapon and looked to his hand, disintegrating and fading into the nothingness of the universe and he fell to his knees as dust took his place. 

One final thought slipped through his mind as darkness came; be happy, Steve.

Where Bucky had been, Steve now stood. He stopped moving. He stopped breathing. Bucky was gone.

*

Ava

"Sarg?" Torres span on his heel, staring at where their unit had been just moments before and Ava stumbled forwards, reaching for him. "Sergeant, what's happening?"

She opened her mouth to speak as her eyes fell on her fingers. Her eyes fell where they had been just seconds before. She glanced back to her friend. She stared at the cocky, flirty, funny young man who kept her laughing out here. She stared at the boy she was supposed to lead and protect. She felt her tears.

"T." Her breath shook, betraying her fear as she tried to grab hold of him.

"Ava?" He stared at the empty air before him. Just moments ago he was surrounded by his team, his unit. He was with his friends. He was operating behind enemy lines. And now? Now Torres stood alone and afraid, surrounded by dust that melted into the sand beneath his feet and disappeared from his touch.

As Ava's mind went silent she found no peace. The world had gone dark.