Chapter Six

.

WARNING;

.

Some gore, blood, foul language.

.

Katerina and Bruno hadn't said a word to their families about their relationship but they weren't trying very hard to hide it. For their first week together, they spent most of their time in the tower, doing whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

One day, Bruno snuck into the kitchen for a snack, only for Julieta to notice bite marks on his neck and scratches on his arms. She raises a brow suggestively and silently hands him an arepa. His cheeks flush a bit as he nods.

"Th-Thanks, sis," he cleared his throat nervously and nibbled the cold dough.

"Godspeed, hermanito," she sighed and shooed him away.

After a few months passed, the couple noticed the looks they'd get around town. The townsfolk figured it out before Mamá Alma did. Lupita, who had moved into a newly constructed house built especially for her, never questioned why her daughter didn't move in with her. She understood but implored her to visit when she wasn't busy.

The town welcomed Katerina with open arms during the months following her identity reveal. A little too welcoming for Bruno's liking, but she assured him he was the only one she'd ever truly love. Didn't stop him from glaring at every man she came in contact with, though.

"Hey," Bruno turned to Kat one early morning while they were lying in bed, "I have to get up sometime today."

"No, no I don't think you do," she knits her brows together and traces the marks on his back. A small, prideful smirk tugged at her lips as she felt the raised skin.

"I-I know, mi amor, but – ah, you know – people are wanting their, uh, futures read," Bruno stuttered as her touch sent a chill down his spine. Kat giggled and snuggled up to his chest, wrapping her arms around him.

"But what about what I want?" she purred in his ear, earning a low hum of approval from the man next to her. He planted a kiss on her forehead before slipping out of the bed and giving her a pointed look.

"You always get what you want," he noted with heavy sarcasm. When she rolled over, her hair sat around her like a dark halo.

"And yet here we are, two worlds apart," she held a hand out to him dramatically. He grabbed it and gave it a princely kiss before laughing and throwing on some clothes from his closet.

"I'm going to the market in a little bit. Do you need anything?" Kat asked while doing the same. Literally. She seized and threw on one of his old poncho's, bringing a delighted smile to the curly-haired man's face as he shook his head.

"Just you," he chuckled, earning an eye roll from the beautiful woman in his bed.

As he retreated into his cave higher up in the tower, Katerina slipped on her shoes, tied her hair up into a messy bun, then traipsed out the door. The moment the sun hit her nicely tanned skin, she knew it was going to be a good day. A smile spread across her shining face as she made her way to the market.