Chapter Ten - Lost Again

The children were running around the house grabbing anything important. Alma was at the bottom of the stairs packing things into suitcases while a few around the loop looking for anything suspicious.

After a while I went back to the house to find the twins sitting on a suitcase, trying desperately to get it shut.

"I mustn't forget our calendar, can you fetch it from the parlour for me Miss Avocet" Alma asked.

The older bird hurries of into the other room, just disappearing before the door knocked. Alma glanced at me, terrified, before rising to her feet.

He door swung open to reveal Mr Barron, standing there with a blade to Jake's throat. An audible gasp came from the children. I snapped round to face him, my wings stretching at my sides, completely blocking the children from access. 

"Miss Peregrine, what a pleasure to meet you at last" Baron said "May we, come in?"

I could feel Alma's scowl, but she stepped to the side all the same.

Mr Barron stepped into the room and, with he free hand, placed a large bird cage on the corner table. 

"Children, would you make your way down the stairs please".

Subconsciously, I let out a hiss at the mention of our children. 

"I make the orders in this house, Mr Barron" The bird replied.

"Not today, Miss Peregrine, I would like you to know that Jake here has served his purpose" The Wight continued "Children!"

My wings stretched out yet further, Alma raised a finger and shushed him, before turning to face the children and I. 

My wings fell down to my side, still tense.

"Children, for Jake's safety we are going to do as Mr. Barron asks.  He would like me to presume bird form preferably caged so he can take me with him to his rendezvous in Blackpool and he would like you to make your way into a lockable room such as the parlour as he won't release Jake if he feels an attack may mounted upon him the moment he loses his leverage. Is that correct Mr. Barron?"

Barron just stuttered. 

The children slowly made their way down the stairs as I herded them towards the parlour. Alma stood by the door, her hands clasped in front of her and tears welling in the base of her eyes. The children filed past. When Emma reached us she threw herself forward and wrapped her arms around our waists. Automatically, my wings wrapped around us. 

When she pulled back, she took the twins in her hands and entered the room. 

Alma pulled the door closed and locked it with a click. 

"Now let him go" 

"Not so fast Alma" Barron stated "There's one more thing for us to discuss"

"How dare you" Alma hissed "How dare you speak my name"

"What else is there to discuss, we have done as you required" I asked. 

"Only the matter of your little gift" He replied with a chuckle

My heart dropped, I hadn't told Alma, I hadn't told anyone.

"What are you talking about?" The bluebird questioned. 

"So she hasn't told you" he continued "Honestly Andromeda, I thought honesty was key in a relationship"

He turned back to Alma

"Your little fairy over here has the ability to survive out of loops, without aging that is"

The raven haired woman turned to me. I didn't say anything, just took her hand in mine and returned my gaze to the Wight.

"So you're saying" I prompted.

"In short, I don't care which of you I take with me to Blackpool. I'll give you five minutes to discuss it".

Me and Alma walked over to the far corner of the room, my winds extended, allowing us some privacy.

"I'm going" Alma declared before I could say a word

"Not a chance, the children need you. If you go what happens at reset? The children who haven't yet been murdered by a hollow get bombed. I'm going"   

"They've already lost you once dove, don't put it through them again, don't put me through it again"

"I'm sorry bluebird"

I turned and strode over to Barron.

"I'm going, let him go" 

Barron's blade arm shifted back to normal, he grabbed Jake's collar and dragged him towards Miss Peregrine before grasping her arm with he free hand. He pulled the two over to the parlour door, unlocked them and threw them in with a thud. 

***

On the other side of the door, Miss Peregrine crawled over to the door, the first tears falling from her eyes.

"No" she sobbed, trying hopelessly to open the door "No, please no"

She was steadily sobbing now, pounding her fists on the door. 

Miss Avocet sunk down besides her, rubbing her back slowly. Horace's mind flashed back to the dream he had had a just a few days ago. This exact scene. Their beloved headmistress sobbing on the floor with the older bird desperately trying to calm her and Andromeda nowhere in sight.