Chapter Five - Reunion

Alma was quietly crying, at least, none of the children would hear.

After all these years, she was alive? What had she been doing all this time? Why didn't she come back? 

It's me. She got fed up of me. I've always annoyed her. Maybe I was to clingy? Or to uptight? Why can't I be good enough?

Alma was sobbing now. The thoughts of how she disappointed her lover completely taking over her mind.

~~~

I pressed my ear to the door, or as close as I could with the curved horns on my head. Maybe she hadn't heard me.

I knocked again.

"Who is it" Alma choked.

"Santa Claus, May I come in" I replied jokingly.

~~~

Almas heart raced, one of the children was playing a sick joke. Have they no respect for her?

Despite her doubts she unlocked the door then crawled back to the corner where she had previously been crying and replaced her head in her knees. 

The door creaked open. Alma didn't look up. She was ashamed. She had vowed to herself that the children should never see her like this, yet hear she was, failing at yet another promise.

~~~

I heard the door lock click open and a shuffling noise. I pushed open the door slowly, only to meet a sight that would make my heart ache.

Alma was sat in a corner, slightly away from the wall, her head in her knees, sobbing. Her blue and black hair fell completely around her face, a beautiful curtain hiding a more beautiful soul. She was shaking and shivering, evidently ashamed and insecure.

I shut the door and walked over to her, slowly sinking down the wall until i was sat directly besides her. She still hadn't looked up. I carefully wrapped a wing around her like a blanket, pulling her closer.

~~~

Alma heard the footsteps coming closer to her, heard someone sliding down the wall then felt warm, feathery wings wrap around her.

She's awake, it is her, oh my bird this is embarrassing. 

~~~

The crying woman looked up, tears stained her cheeks and her usual dark eye makeup had ran down her porcelain face. Silently, I pulled her closer, her head now resting on my chest and my hands around her waist.

~~~

The two women stayed like that for hours into the night, not a word spoken between them. As, for that moment, the years between them vanished.