Sighing, Chase reluctantly turned to follow his best friends when Krislynn’s abrupt singing caught him completely off guard. “I’m walking on sunshine,” she sung as she skipped passed him, “wo-o-oah. I’m walking on sunshine, wo-oo-oah.”

“What the hell are you on?” He snarled as he latched onto the back of her shirt to stop her from moving ahead of him. Her cheery skipping came to a halt as she spun around to confront him with a dark glare---so much for wanting some of her happiness to rub off on him.

“Nothing,” she snapped defensively. “I’m just happy! Can’t I be happy?”

“No, you can’t,” he said stubbornly, irritated that she always made such annoying expressions at him and even more pissed off that she didn’t want to share her thoughts with him. “That’s illegal here.”

“Piss off Chase,” she hissed as she wedged herself loose from his grasp. “I was just singing. Why do you have to be such an asshole to me all the time?”

Without another word, she stomped off leaving Chase with an odd knot in his chest. He had no idea what just happened or why she was so upset with him. He didn’t necessarily mind being called an asshole when he was actually being one, but this time, he was frankly only trying to start a conversation with her. Was that so wrong?

Irritated that she had snapped at him for no apparent reasons, Chase joined the rest of them in the dining room as he mused over her odd behaviour. At first there didn’t seem to be an explanation for her sudden over-cheerfulness, but by the middle of dinner, the reason was as obvious as a sore thumb.

Krislynn had the hots for Jace. Jace of all people!

Chase was so livid; he could barely swallow down his dinner. All the guilt he had been compressing inside up until now evaporated as he watched Krislynn flirt shamelessly with his best friend. What was it with Jace trying to outdo him with every girl he came across? First, he shows up with the hottest fiancée imaginable and now he was trying to steal his rebound girl?!

“Sometimes I just want to tape my glasses to my face,” he was saying. “They always slide down my nose and it’s so unbearably annoying sometimes. I wish I didn’t have to wear these dreadful things.”

Krislynn, who was inappropriately seated between Chase and Jace, shook her head frantically. “No way,” she gasped. “I think you look adorable with glasses on!” Embarrassed by her own blunt honesty, Krislynn covered her mouth with her hands as Jace’s face went tomato red.

“R-r-r-really?”

She nodded, her cheeks reddening just ever so slightly. The two of them stared at each other curiously before they burst into a soft fit of nervous giggles---all the while oblivious to Chase’s unimpressed stare. “I look adorable in glasses too,” he muttered. “In fact, I look good in anything and everything.”

Krislynn simply ignored his comment and moved onto another topic with Jace which caused him to scowl and take an angry jab at his steak. It was one thing if she snapped at him with a smartass remark, but completely another when she degraded him to not even worthy of her time. Who the hell did she think she was?