14 • Honey, I'm Home

Start from the beginning

"It's a sin, it's-its illegal!" Marco cried, shaking.

"It shouldn't be." Millie wrapped him tightly in her arms. "Your secret is safe with me."
...

Millie thought back to that moment while she hugged Marco, she recognised the fear in his eyes today because it was the same fear he had when he thought she'd send him to jail.

"Marco, you could've asked me for money."

"No." He pulled away. "I couldn't do that, and you know uncle Jimmy would never take it anyway. He still feels guilty for firing you."

"He didn't fire me," Millie argued. "He let me go because his business closed. He had to, Marco. And it okay, this job isn't so bad."

Millie looked around the mechanical garage, wiping her face and then groaning because she could feel the grease slide onto her face.

Many women were taking on 'mens' work, with so many of them being in the war already. Millie found time to work on weekends, still finishing her nursing qualifications during the week, which she was nearly graduated from.

"When do you leave?"

"Next week." Marco looked down at his feet. "Sunday."

"I'll try and see you off at the station." Millie smiled, forcing herself to hold in the tears that so desperately wanted to spill. Her soft gesture was interrupted by the loud chiming of the bell, signalling it was time to clock out.

"I'll let you go," Marco smiled sadly. "William is in the car waiting for me." He said, referring to his boyfriend, the very same man that Millie caught him in bed with last year.

"Okay, I promise I'll see you before you go. Steve's birthday is the night before, I know you'll probably be busy, but feel free to stop by."

Marco hugged Millie one last time and nodded. "Not sure if he'd like me there, but sure."

"It's only because he doesn't know about William." She muttered and chuckled slightly.

"That's true," he said and smiled. "Maybe one day he will know." Marco gave Millie one last smile, kissing her cheek and letting a tear fall out. "See you, Millie Mae." He swiftly turned around and jogged back to Williams car.

Millie watched as they drove away, and couldn't help but wonder if the next time she sees Marco will be the last.

~

Millie trudged her tired legs up the concrete stairway of Steve's apartment, letting herself in with the key he gave her which was once the spare that he hid under a brick.

The hot, late June air made walking home all the more difficult. Normally, Steve would meet her at school or work, but he was busy drawing up enlistment posters, and every penny counts.

Steve's apartment hadn't changed one but in five years, except for maybe be a tad more homey. Millie had made her mark on not only Steve's life, but Bucky's too, who practically lived there half the time.

The radio was playing music loudly, covering up the sound of Millie's heavy boots as she walked through the apartment. Steve was hunched over his little wooden desk which resided in the living room, next to an easel covered on drawings of none other than Millie Mae.

She snuck up behind him, getting real close to his ear and whispered. "Hi Honey," she wrapped her dirty arms around his body and kissed his cheek. "I'm home."

Steve turned around and fully wrapped his arms around her, smiling wide at the sight of the girl he was in love with.

"Hi, sweetheart." He stood from his seat and snuggled her close. "How was your d-"